How Long Can I Expect to Have Drains In?

I am having a mini tummy tuck and lipo on my abdomen and flank (back). How long can I expect to have my drains in for? Thanks

Drains after mini-TT-how long

+2

Drains are generally ready to be removed when the drainage decreases to an acceptable level. My threshold is usually 30 cc and typically after a mini tummy tuck this occurs by 2-3 days. Other surgeons may have a different threshold or a minimum time for keeping the drains in place. Each patient is a unique individual and these are only guidelines.

Good luck with your procedure.

Drain Removal After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

Each surgeon has their procedure regarding drain removal after surgery so it would be in your best interests to ask your surgeon.

Generally, in my practice, I and remove the drains when the drain output is low (individualize each patient's care).

Drains

+1

Drains are usually kept in until the total 24 hour output drops below a certain level (usually 30 cc per day).  After your type of procedure, drains can be removed anywhere from 5 - 14 days.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

When to remove drains

+1

Your surgeon will remove them when 24hr drainage is 30-50cc or less - usually within a week. You should know that excessive physical activity will increase drainage output.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Drains with a Tummy Tuck

+1

Every physician has their own recommendations of when drains may come out. On average, patients may have the drains in for 1 to 2 weeks and in some instances, 3 weeks. We take drains out when the drainage is lower than 25cc in a 24 hour period. By doing this, lessens the chance of seromas which can lead to infection.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Mini tummy tuck and liposuction and drains

+1

Usually for a mini tummy tuck and some liposuction drains are required for a few days to about a week sometimes longer.

Drains should stay in until they put out less than 20cc/day

+1

in our practice, we like to keep drains in for as long as it is required, until the output is under 20cc / day.  In rare instances if this takes more than 3 weeks, we consider taking them out before this cut off

Martin Jugenburg, MD