How Long Should I Expect to Be Covering my Legs After Smart Lipo? (photo)

I am 20 years old I am very active and eat well, but I can never seem to get my thighs to tone up like the rest of my legs. I am getting my Inner thighs, Outer thighs, and Gluteal Crease regions done next week. I want to be able to wear a swimsuit this summer, but I understand recovery from this procedure takes some time. I am just curious typically how long does swelling and bruising tend to last, and about how long does it take till legs look normal enough to wear swimsuits and shorts?

Recovery time for Smartlipo

+1

The side effects of Smartlipo are bruising and swelling which will diminish as you heal; around 2 weeks or more. Wear the compression garment for the appropriate amount of time and follow up with your surgeon.

How Long Should I Expect to Be Covering my Legs After Smart Lipo?

+1

The more that is liposuctioned the greater the improvement, but the longer the period of swelling.  Most of my patients look very good by about a month or sooner, but healing is an individual process.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

When can you wear a bathing suit after liposuction or SmartLipo

+1

Even though all the swelling takes several months to go away, most people can start showing off their legs after 3-4 weeks.  By that time the bruising, if any, is gone and about 80% of the swelling.  Most people can note a significant improvement by that time.  There will be areas that still feel hard to the touch however other people won't be able to see that.    Just be aware that  you are not completely healed yet and that you are going to continue to improve.  Your best and final result will be visible in about four months. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising after Smart Lipo is variable

+1

Typically bruising can last up to 2-4 weeks but swelling can last for months. I ask my patients to wear compression garments for 6 weeks and longer while working out. You should bathing suit ready by 6 weeks but full results take 9-12 months. Be sure to maintain your diet and exercise so that you don't gain weight or lose muscle mass. Most board certified Plastic Surgeons will ask you to avoid vigorous exercise for 2 weeks after the procedure so watch your calories and salt intake so you do not gain weight or retain fluid.

Laurie Casas, MD

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Swelling after liposuction can last several months, but the majority of swelling will go down within 4-6 weeks.

+1

GREAT question for your chosen surgeon to respond to. In most cases 3 months for full healing, but I do not know your specific case. 

Healing Time for SmartLipo

+1

Well first of all, make very certain you are not taking any medications that will thin your blood such as Ibuprofen. These types of medications will leave you with more bruising. I find that the patients who take Arnica Montana and Bromelain tend to heal faster. And the bruising and swelling doesn't hang around as long. My patients use VitaMedica, but you can find it in any health food store. With all that being said, if you are someone who bruises easily then you will have more bruising than most. Good Luck to you.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon