How Long Do Dental Implants Last? What is There Longevity?

Hello, My name is James I am 24 years old and am considering having dental implants. I have been offered them free of charge by my dentist. And I have a few concerns. My main concern is the longevity of dental implants? How many years do,can they last? I do not smoke and try and take very good care of my mouth. I brush twice a day and I currently have a "flipper" with two false teeth for the top of my mouth and I have another retainer in the bottom of my mouth that just holds space.

Dental implant longevity

+2

The fact that you don't smoke is a big plus for implant longevity, smokers often don't do as well with dental implants. When properly placed and restored, dental implants have a very high success rate and do tend to last a long time. Implants are also the option that feels most like your own natural teeth, a huge improvement over a "flipper". Sometimes dentists who are new to dental implants will offer to treat patients at a discount or even for free to gain experience. If you don't already know why they are free, you should ask your dentist for an explanation.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants For Missing Upper Teeth

+1

The prospect of you getting dental implants for your two missing upper teeth is a wise choice.  The fact that they are free is puzzling.  Nothing of this importance should be free, unless maybe this is his/her first or second case.  If this is the case, I would probably look elsewhere especially if your missing teeth are in a cosmetic zone.  Dental implants are a learned skill and should only be performed by someone comfortable with the procedure.  If your hygiene is good and you have the bone they will last you a very long time.  Do your homework and remember that most of the time anything worth having is usually not free.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Implants are often the best option

+1

If you are getting free implants, that's great. There can be complications with implant placement, so I would be concerned about why you are getting them for free. That said, everyone has to place their first implant so maybe that is why you are getting them for free. Smoking usually affects the integration of the implant into the bone. If it integrates there are few other problems, so I would consider them to be a great long term solution for a missing tooth.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Free dental implants is odd

+1

Normally, one would be skeptical about free dental implants, or free anything.  I would wonder why?  Is this the first case ever?  What is the motivation?

Regardless, dental implants last a very long time, perhaps the rest of your life.  They can't decay and many common issues don't exist with them compared to teeth.  If you take care of yourself as you describe, this may be the best dental investment you have ever done.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants last a long time.

+1

Implants are the number one choice for people like yourself. Missing front teeth can be devastating to someone of your age. Im not sure why the Dr is offering them to you for free..Remember you get what you pay for...Make sure he or she is qualified to do implants. Check his license credibility thru your state consumer affairs website.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist