How Long is a Dental Crown Procedure?

How many minutes will I be in the chair to prep, get a mold, and a fitting for a crown?

One visit crown

+2
Good morning

Will use a system called Cerec

This means we can avoid the horrible impression, that can make you gag

Instead your tooth is scanned after the preparation and the crown in made on site within 20 minutes

Thus the whole procedure from start to finish takes just 70-80 minutes and 20 minutes of this is relaxing, drinking tea or coffee in the waiting room

United Kingdom Cosmetic Dentist

Appointment for a crown

+2

The time it takes varies between dentists.   On average it takes from 45 minutes to about an hour.  The procedure would involve getting you adequately numbed.  Prepping and taking a mold of the tooth.  Then the dentist will make you a temporary crown.   The following appointment to cement the final crown should only take about 15 minutes, provided the crown seats correctly.  Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Appointment time for a crown

+2

The amount of time necessary to prep a tooth for a crown varies among dentists.  Some take an hour while others may take up to two hours.  A build-up on the tooth may be necessary before the prep is done, and an impression is taken to be sent to the lab.  The precision of the prep in terms of its design and the right amount of reduction, and a well taken impression will determine the success of the crown.  A temporary crown  then needs to be fabricated and cemented temporarily.  Shade selection is also done.  The next appointment to cement the crown would take an estimated half hour.  Just remember that high quality work may take a little longer but is well worth it.   Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian 

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist

It depends on how long you want your crown to last.

+2

I saw some other dentist's answer that it depends on the dentist and that is true.  BUT a dentist who does not take the time to make sure his preparations are perfect, that the correct amount and shape of tooth structure is removed, that not too much tooth is removed, that the shade taken is accurate and esthetic, that the margins are smooth and perfect, that the impression of the preparation and the bite is perfect, and that any damage to the tooth of old fillings are repaired so as not to reduce the strength of the tooth or impinge on the margins WILL  PROBABLY GIVE YOU A CROWN THAT WILL NOT LAST AND MAY NOT LOOK LIKE, FEEL LIKE, NOR FUNCTION LIKE A REAL TOOTH.  After 30 years of practice and hundreds of  hours of cosmetic and restorative post-graduate dental education, I still take on average between 11/2 to 2 hours for a single crown plus another 30 minutes to cement the crown on a second visit, but less time per tooth as the number of teeth being prepared increases.  In our office we guarantee our crowns for life for everthing but wear and accidents.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Crown Visit

+1
Usually 30 mins to 1hr for a tooth. Sometimes a front tooth can take longer than a back tooth. Depends on how much re shaping is needed for the desired smile.

Sandra M. Low, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

full mouth dentistry - preparing 28 teeth in one sitting.

+1

I  do a fair amount of full mouth dentistry - preparing 28 teeth in 4 hours. I am not surprised when patients tell me that their old dentist took 2 hours do one or two crowns.  Dentists just like patients are  people, with different  peronalities, experience, and techniques and beliefs. Some believe if you  are too fast, you sacrifice quality, some think if  you learn the best techniques, and use the best material and equipment, you can prep 28 teeth ( full  mouth reconstructions) start to finish in two 4 hour appointment. AND the teeth are never the same.
So there are many variables.
I would say about 80 % of the times, all equal situation ( not a bleeder, not a root canaled tooth, normal mouth opening, etc..) by the time patient sits in , gets numbed, teeth cleaned out, build up placed, and impression taken, and temporary made you in the chair about 1 hour.  The actual cutting/ prepping the tooth 5-10 minutes tops!

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Time needed for a Dental crown preparation

+1

The time needed to prepare a tooth for a crown, make a temporary and take an impression can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour on average. Differences in this time frame can include how long it takes a patient to get numb. For the most part lower teeth can take longer than upper teeth to get numb. Additional time may be needed if your Dentist finds deeper decay than the x-ray suggested. If this happens additional time may be needed for your Dentist to place a Core or a Build Up in an effort to make the crown preparation Durable and Reliable.

Howard Perlmutter, DMD
Paramus Cosmetic Dentist

How long for Crown?

+1

This depends on the patient as well as the dental team. The dental patient has more control over this than they realize. If the patient is relaxed and cooperative during the appointment and if the dentist and the dental assistant work well together and are perfectly synchronized it can happen very efficiently. It usually takes 30 minutes to an hour. Everyone has to be prepared and everything has to be in it's place. It can be fun.

Ted Murray, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Crown time

+1

It takes normally less than an hour. If your dentiust has a Cerec, which is Cad Cam technology, you can have the corwn fabricated in one appointment and it may take 1.5 hours.  Usually the crown is made of EMax which is a very stron and esthetic percelain. 

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

How long does a crown procedure take?

+1

To prep one tooth for a crown it usually takes about 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs. If the tooth is decayed & needs to be build up to support & stabilize the crown the  procedure takes a little longer. Keep in mind that every Dentist is different & depending on his or hers experience the duration can vary.

Lawrence Gilbert, DDS
Woodbury Cosmetic Dentist