How Long Do I Continue to Use Ice Packs After my Mini Tummy Tuck?

I had a mini tummy tuck 4 weeks ago. I am faithful with the ice packs and will continue as long as it is needed but can you advise how long I will need to continue with these?

Post tummy tuck care

+1

I concur with my colleagues here.  I generally do not recommend ice packs for postoperative care after a tummy tuck procedure.   Please contact your PS about their recommended postopcare plans.

Usage of ice packs after abdominoplasty

+1

Patients should always be cautious when using ice packs after having surgical procedures like a tummy tuck since the skin and tissue in these areas will likely be numb.  The numbiness can lead the patient to over ice skin, in turn, causing freeze burn.  It is generally not necessary to ice the surgical area after the first 2-3 days.  I recommend seeking the advice of your doctor for specific directions.  

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Ice Packs after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Although I am not in favor of second-guessing another physician's  instructions, I would caution you to be careful about the use of ice packs on postsurgical (probably insensate) skin;  you could potentially inadvertently cause damage.

Ice packs after a mini tummy tuck?

+1

You should follow your doctor's advice so please ask them this question.  On the other hand, I have never heard of anyone asking a miniTT patient to use ice at all.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS