I Have a Long Chin in the Front but Lacking One on the Profile. is There Any Options? (photo)

i have an oblong face shape. also when i smile my chin in the front is very long. on the profile it looks like am lacking a chin a bit though. i dont know if there is any options for this?

Long chin, but little projection

+1

The chin implant procedure is a great operation for someone whose chin is either too narrow or too retrusive.  The implant can accomplish two goals in the chin area.  It can increase chin width and give projection.  The implants we use are made of silastic and are easily carved and shaped to the appropriate size when needed.  The chin implant incision is approximately ½ inch long underneath the chin where by the implant is placed directly over the bone.  Patients have approximately 10 days of recovery time from the procedure.  It can be done under local anesthesia as well.

Chin Implant for Narrow Long Chin

+1

A properly placed small chin/jowl implant may have the desired effect. A picture of the frontal view of your chin without smiling would be helpful. An osteotomy of the bone with advancement of the chin would work, but this is a more invasive procedure which I would avoid if possible.

Chin osteotomy vs implant

+1

I totally agree with Doctor Eppley's  well written and thorough comments. As an aside you look good, any procedure carries risks and you need to weight the relative risks vs the benefits.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Chin Osteotomy vs. Chin Implant

+1

The best option for a vertically long but horizontally short chin is an osteotomy approach, provided that real vertical bony reduction is needed. Moving the chin bone forward and up, based on the angle of the osteotomy cut, will accomplish both goals. It is also possible that a chin implant placed just above the end of the bone may work as well as horizontal advancement can make the chin appear somewhat vertically shorter as well. I would recommend computer imaging to determine if  the chin implant approach would create your desired effect. I suspect that because the length of the chin bothers you most when you smile and in the front view that a chin osteotomy would be the more effective treatment option.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD