How Long Does my Chin Take to Go Back to Its Original Shape After Chin Implant Removal?

I had a chin implant a few years back. i was never 100% happy with it because it gave me an egg-like look on my chin. A few years later, i received liposuction on my neck to reduce the look of my double chin. Now i look deformed. my chin is way too long and too round for my face. I am so self conscious right now because i just don't look like myself. if i was to remove my implant (placed 3 years ago), how long would it take for my chin to reduce in size? Is witch's chin a likely case?

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation, Chin Implant Removal, Radiesse, Artefil, Artecol

+1

I have performed Chin Augmentation with Chin Implants for almost 25 years. 

• If the Chin Implant is made of Silastic or Softform (Gortex) yes, the Chin Implant can be removed.  I prefer an incision under the chin which preserves the mentalis (chin) muscle attachment to the bone avoiding ptosis (witch's chin) in the future.
  • If the Chin Implant is made of Medpore, it can't be removed as medpore implants become incorporated into the bone as quickly as 1 month post-placement.  So, the first thing is for you to find out what the Chin Implant is made from.
  • If the Chin Implant is 6,7 or more mm's thick (also called projection), it is possible that it has stretched the tissues over the Chin Implant in the three years that it's been in.  In that case, a simple chin tuck removing some of the tissues at the same time the Chin Implant is removed could be performed.
  • Chin Implants and a Chin Tuck can and are often performed under a local infiltration only, although anesthesia is always an option.
  • If the Chin Implant is not sewn or screwed in place, it can be removed in about 15 minutes.
  • Steri Strips are placed over the chin for a few days and the chin typically goes back to its original size and shape within a month or so.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Chin implant

+1

Removal of the chin implant may cause a witches chin or droppiness because of the excess skin that would be left. Something can usually be done to make it look better without its removal. Watch my videos.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant problems

+1

It looks likes you had a significantly weak chin and the implant made a very noticeable difference in your profile. Once the implant is removed, you may notice some "augmentation" of the chin from scar tissue alone. If you are still unhappy, a more extended implant may be inserted several months later.

What happens after chin implant removal?

+1

Depending on the implant type, removal may be easy or somewhat more difficult, but is possible in any case. The degree of scarring and elasticity of your chin tissues will directly affect how much and how long it takes for your chin to "settle" to its "new" look, which will almost certainly be different from how you looked before your present implant was placed. I have seen some patients who do develop a "witch's chin" appearance after implant removal, so deciding whether or not to place a new anatomic chin implant, or do other cosmetic surgery on the neck and chin region (platysmaplasty, necklift, or even facelift) is something that you need to discuss with your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Removing a chin implant usually requires placing a smaller chin implant to prevent balling up of your chin

+1

Removing a chin implant usually requires placing a smaller chin implant to prevent balling up of your chin. Most of the time unless your chin implant is very small like 3mm, you will need to place a smaller chin implant. This is important because without something smaller, the stretched pocket / tissues / skin will contract over this empty space. The very possible potential result is a "balling up" effect which can make your chin look like a ball with a protuberance that you will not like.  The healing of replacing a smaller implant usually is fairly quick with most of the swelling and bruising gone in a week.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

It seems you were not happy with the chin implant to begin with. It sounds that the implant is either contracted, or the implant is a button shaped one not anatomical.

Remove the implant,  reevaluate your satisfaction then decide.

You can have the implant changed to a better shape and size, but now it is difficult to evaluate the right shape and size.

Chin implant removal

+1

It is interesting that you ask this question.  I have had 5 patients in the past 3 months for implant removal due to dissatisfaction, displacement or infection (fortunately none of my patients).  In all these patients I recommended not putting a new implant in for at least 6 months..  If you do take the implant out it will probably take several months to go back to normal.  I tape the chin to try to improve the skin shrinkage although there is no guarantee it will go back exactly the way it was.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Removal

+1

Its hard to say without a picture, but it sounds like you have a button type implant.  This style is an older implant and gives a round, pointy look to the chin.  They can also be felt more easily then the newer generation of implants.  The new extended anatomical implants conform to the jawbone and blend on the edges.  They literally feel like your own Jawbone and are smooth in appearance.  You just may need to have the implant replaced with an appropriate size and shape modern chin implant.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing chin implants.

+1

As you can see, there are many different types of implants:

Silicone (smooth surfaced)
Medpor
PTFE
Mesh
Hydroxyapatite.
The silicone are by far the most popular and quite easy to remove under local.

The others however can be quite complex.

The first step is to find out the type of implant.

The second step is the size. Small implants (5-6mm or projection or less can be easily removed without much consequence). Larger implants may stretch the skin or actually cause bony erosion.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/plastic-surgery-chicago/procedures/