How Long Until I Can Do Chest Exercises After a Breast Augmentation?

I am an amateur trapeze artist. There is a lot of arm pulling a use of chest muscles in this sport. I will be getting saline implants under the muscle. I was wonder how long it would be until I can continue my favorite past time. I know I should start in slowly, but would love to get back into it as soon as I'm allowed. The only thing making me nervous about my BA is not being able to get back into flying on the trapeze. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

When can I resume exercise after breast augmentation

+1
Dear FB,
Thank you for your post. In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. This is also true of weighted exercises such as trapeze.  At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after BAM

+1

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Trapeze work and breast augmentation

+1

In my practice, I usually have patients avoid heavy lifting and chest muscle work for 6-8 weeks if things are all ok.  You should check with your doctor.

Breast implants for a trapeze artist

+1

Amature or not, trapeze work is not like light weights and chest strengthening, ie weights and exercise after augmentation. Gymnastics and trapeze takes tremendous chest strength and we would suggest that you reconsider the submuscular implant. Instead think about a lower profile and moderate size suglandular gel implant. You will look much better during performance, and keep your edge.

+1

Thank you for your question.  In general I let my patients work out after 6 weeks if they go under the muscle.  For you, my question is did you consider subglandular placement.  I do a fair amount of female bodybuilders / figure models and most go subglandular because they want to get back to the gym sooner.  Also, depending on how strong your chest muscles are, you can sometimes see they indent the impalnts when you flex the muscle if they are submuscular.

Rigo Mendoza, MD