How Long Does Bruising Last if You Just Want to Shorten a Lengthy Nose with No Fracture?

Bruising after Rhinoplasty (shortening a long nose)

+1

If it is just surgery to the tip of the nose, and no work is needed to reshape the dorsum (upper 2/3), then you can expect very minimal bruising.  I never promise a patient there will be absolutely no bruising, even when I feel the likelihood is low. But, I have had many patients experience no bruising, even when fractures are performed.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have used an isolated, limited procedure that does not require a complete Rhinoplasty in cases where nothing else is to be accomplished other than rotating up the nasal tip.   Thinning the nasal tip may be combined with this technique.  I have performed this procedure on patients that have been in front of the camera 2-3 days later as it's quite minimally invasive with a very rapid recovery.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling and bruising after rhinoplasty will certainly be less is the nasal bones do not need to be fractured, but there is some individual variability.  Usually, shortening the nose only can be done without breaking the bones. 

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Bruising and nasal bone shaving

+1

There is always some bruising when nasal work is performed to improve the contour. This bruising may last a week or more. Sometimes much less if minimal work has been done.

Usually no bruising if bones are not fractured

+1

If your surgery indeed will not involve breaking of the bones  it may cause minimal or no bruising.  However it is a rarae instance since moth of the rhinopasties require adjustment of the nasal bone structure to achieve desirable corrections. 

The most important is to stay away from aspirin and all supplements that can cause extra bleeding during the procedure.  Please follow your surgeon’s instruction as far as care after the surgery. Icing your eye area will help with bruising and swelling.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

How long does bruising last if you just want to shorten a lengthy nose with no fracture?

+1

Hello, you should not expect much bruising but you will have swelling. Any time you do tip work the swelling can be persistent. I do not know the extent of the surgical plan so can not advise you any futher. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Surgeon. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

+1

It depends on the nature of your procedure. It sounds like you will need some form of a Rhinoplasty. Short term there will be bruising for a few weeks. You can expect nasal swelling to go down the most in the first 3-6 months but last for up to one year. The swelling that lasts one year is not the type of swelling that will affect your ability to want to be in public. When you say just shorten the nose you need to be very careful. A full consultation might reveal that to keep your nose in harmony just shortening may not be all that needs to be done. These surgeries are very delicate and tedious in nature. Make sure you find a board certified surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty surgery. Your surgeon will give you a better idea about bruising and swelling when they no how much will need to be done.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Bruising after Shortening a Long Nose

+1

Normally bruising is not likely or will be minimal if the work is confined to the tip area without fracturing the nasal bones. However, swelling may occur and be apparent for 7-10 days.

Rhino Q & A

+1

Either no bruising or the length of time it takes you to clear a bruise on your leg or other extremity.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Most bruising will be fully resolved in 7-10 days. The risk of bruising is much lower if the bridge of the nose doesn't need to be lowered and the nose does not need to be straightened. Obviously, if you have any issues with clotting or if you're take a blood thinning medication, these observations will not apply. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon