How Long Can Bruises, Seromas and Lumps After Liposuction Last?

I had liposuction 7 weeks ago and I still have some light bruising on the lower back, abdomen and sides. How long can it take for the bruising to go away? Also, I have a small seroma and lumps on my abdomen. I massage myself with a powerful vibrating massager for 40 minutes every day (20min morning and 20 min night). The doctor said they would go away after several months. How long could it take for the seroma and lumps to go away?

Bruisestick ointment for bruising

+1

Bruising after surgery can be improved with Arnica ointment. I use Bruisestick ointment for localized areas for my patients. 

Time for resolution of lumps, bumps, bruises and seroma after liposuction

+1

IT truly depends on an accurate diagnosis of the lumps, bumps, bruisies and seroma. For example if the bruises are truly hemosiderin deposits, it may take up to two years to improve or become stabe. Seromas can be chronic or be confused with fat cysts.

Bruises usually go away after several weeks

+1

If your bruises are persistent after a few to several weeks, then possibly the iron from the red blood cells is causing staining of the dermis, similar to a tattoo. Some lasers can improve this coloration, but it usually is not permanent on the upper body. It may take many months for it to resolve. Lower body, especially legs, are areas where the dermal discoloration can be permanent. Seromas or swellings from build up of serum may need to be drained, but often are temporary without treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Scar tissue and Bruising resolution after Liposuction

+1

Scar tissue remains in the treated area for at least 6 months, and sometimes even longer. Be patient, as time passes, it will improve, likely whether or not you massage. As far as a seroma, if it is significant in size, I usually aspirate them in the office with a needle-this may hasten resolution, although they can recur. Aggressive massage like you are doing could even aggravate the seroma. Discoloration from bruising usually fades over time, rarely a subtle mottled type of pigmentation (hemosiderin staining) can be permanent from severe bruising.

Hayley Brown, MD