How Long Do Brow Lift Results Last?

I am 58 years old and have much sagging in upper eyelids. I went to see an ophthalmologist who performed one of the first eyebrow lifts in San Jose. He recommends I wait another year or two for best results. Says the lift only lasts 5 years.

Is this true? How long do brow lift results last? Should I wait?

Brow lift longevity

+1

I agree with many of the other responses.  The affect of a brow lift varies depending on the type of lift, the severity of correction, genetic factors and the use of adjunctive measures (such as Botox) to prolong the result.  I would typically tell my patients that a brow lift should last for ten years as a ball park.  Some people may get longer than that.  

Browlifts Last Between 5-10 Years, Depending on Your Skin Variables

+1

How long a brow lift lasts varies from patient to patient. Every patient experiences continued aging and the constant impact of gravity. We frequently turn the clock back with surgery, but we never stop it from ticking.
Variables such as skin thickness, skin elasticity, the degree of environmental damage, and the type of brow lift performed all can affect the longevity of the result. It’s reasonable to expect a brow lift to last 5 to 10 years depending on these variables.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Browlift

+1

A browlift can last a very long time depending upon the technqiue used.  Some of the open brow lifts can last a lifetime for many patients.

Browlifts can last for a long time

+1

The issues about longevity include;

1- The skin thickness and elasticity of the patient.

2-the amount of damage to the skin over time- pollution, sundamage, smoking, stress.

3-the type of procedure - Endoscopic does not last as long as coronal brow lifts.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Longevity of brow lift results

+1

When a browlift has been done properly, the results last a lifetime and is typically only a one-time procedure that is ever performed on the forehead. It is also important to soften and weaken the depressor muscles of the forehead including the corrugators so that the muscle action from facial expression does not pull the brows back down.

Eyebrow and/or eyelifts

+1

At your age, there is normally sagging of the eyebrows but also excess upper eyelid skin. If your major problem was with excess upper eyelid skin, maybe a upper eyelift (blepharoplasty) should have been performed rather than an eyebrow lift. An eyelift should "last" for 10-15 years on average.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Duration of Browlift Improvement

+1

There are several answers to your question. First of all, you will always look better than you would without the surgery. As you know, with rejuvenation surgery we are just setting back the clock of the aging process. The duration of improvement depends on your tissue and the technique used. We can give patients insight pre-operatively. In general, over the years I've done touch-ups on facelifts (at 7-10 years) sooner than browlifts.

Browlift

+1

Plastic surgery and repair the effect of sagging tissue and gravity. However, after surgery your tissues continue to age and gravity continues to pull. Therefore, the effects of plastic surgery are not permanent. However, after having a browlift, you should expect several years if not more of sustained results. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Longevity of the Brow Lift

+1

There are many factors that will influence how long a broe lift will last. Technique of surgery is one, i.e. endoscopic, open (coronal), full forhead lift or just lateral brow lift. Also, individual tissue characteristrics and lifestyle have great influence. Having said all that somewhere between 4 and 10 years is a reasonable range but it will alwasy look better than not having done it art all.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of brow lift

+1

The relative improvement from a brow lift, like any rejuvenation surgery, will last forever. However, like any tissue exposed to the force of gravity, the brow will not stay static. Gravity will continue to act and the brow will fall again. Hopefully the speed of the new descent will be slower than previously. Eventually, your brow will be back to where it is now. However, by then you will be considerably older (usually 3-15 years). The relative improvement compared to the rest of the face will be maintained, however.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon