How Long Does It Take for Breasts to "Drop" After an Implant Replacement?

I am planning on implant replacments from saline to silicone. My implants are submuscular. I am hoping for a slight increase in size (say half a cup size) and less projection. Is "dropping" the relaxing of the pectoral muscles? How does dropping work with implant replacement, and how long should I expect it to take?

Implants and dropping

+5

Implants initially after palcing under the muscle tend to rise because of muscle spasm and contraction. As time goes by( 3-4 months usually) the implants drop into the pocket a little bit better.

"Drop" after an implant replacement

+3

No need to be concerned about the drop of the replaced implants. Especially if you use a smaller size. Immediate effect will be seen.

From MIAMI

Drop after implant replacement

+2
Dropping can take months. I note that the question asks about implant replacement. It is difficult to assess until swelling has decreased so, while the surgeon may have properly placed the implant, it may take time for the patient to see the final result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revisionary Breast Surgery

+2

On average, the second breast augmentation procedure is "less recovery" than the first time around.  The "settling" process will be less than the first time but because you are going a larger, there may be SOME settling time.  The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" or "crazy big" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

" Dropping" After Implant Exchange Happens Very Fast

+2

When a patient is exchanging their implants out for a larger size, unless it is twice the size of the old implant and the pocket is very tight,  the implants should settle into position withina week or two.  All the hard work has been done with the first surgery, so it generally occurs pretty quick witha simple implant exchange.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does It Take for Breasts to "Drop" After an Implant Replacement

+2

How Long Does It Take for Breasts to "Drop" After an Implant Replacement? The safe answer is 6-9 months.

Settling of breast implants

+2

As a general rule, "settling" of the breast occurs more quickly after a redo of your implants as compared to first operation. However, if you go with a much larger size implant, then you might experience a "settling" period similar to what you experienced your first go-round.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Dropping of implants

+2

If you are hoping for less projection, going under the muscle and a smaller size will achieve this look. However, you said you were hoping for an increase in size so this will alter this a little bit. You could talk to your surgeon about the different types of implants, low, moderate, and high profile implants.

As far as the "dropping" of the implants, you may see a slight change once the swelling has gone down in a couple weeks, but the implants should be positioned more correctly initially. You will not see as much change in the positioning as with a first time breast augmentation.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast Implant dropping / settling etc

+2

I completely agree with Dr. Beraka. The plastic surgeon and his OR staff SEE the result of the breast augmentation in the OR. The way the implant looks in the OR will eventually be the way the implants will look a few weeks later when post-surgical swelling which blurrs this image subsides and the permanent original result reappears.

WYSIWYG. While time and gravity will pull down every structure, including breasts, it bears remembering that there is NO "breast fairy" whose sprinkles of pixy dust will get you the breasts you always wanted.

Breast implants should look good right away.

+2

Hi.

I think the notion of breast implants having to "drop" is largely a myth. If the breast implant pockets are properly placed, you breasts should look great right after surgery. And if they don't look great right away, I am afraid they won't look great in six months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)