How Long Will It Take for Breast Tissue to Settle After Breast Lift Revision?

Had revision breast lift in one breast & scar revision in 1/2011. 1st lift was performed 12/2009. First surgery left me quite asymmetrical. Right breast measured 21 cm from sternal notch while the left measured 19 cm. I'm extremely worried that the breast that was relifted appears way too high. The surgeon's nurse explained that he "tacked" my breast tissue to my chest wall because that is his technique. First surgeon never did any tacking. Is it too early for me to panic about my results?!

You may need revision

+2

You had lift in one breast and scar revision over the other breast and I do think that was  a good idea especially if the second surgery is done by another surgeon. I would suggest to wait at least six months before thinking about revision

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Final Results after a breast lift

+2

It often takes at least six months and sometimes even up to a year for everything to settle and for you to see your final result..  It is difficult to wait for the changes when only one breast is operated on since they will be assymetrical right after surgery.  The left breast should appear more like the right in a few months.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+2

I would give this some time.  Age and gravity often result in loosening of the breast.  It is possible your surgeon even over corrected that side, in anticipation of the drop that will occur.  You will know in a few months.  

David A. Lickstein, MD

Assymetry after a breast lift

+2

Asymmetry after a breast lift is very common.  Give your procedure six to eight weeks and then reassess.  Skin laxity and shape can change significantly in the first few weeks.

Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Recovery after breast lift revision

+2

A revision like the one you need  will not take more than a couple of weeks for the first stage of swelling. It will then have tosettle into its final position in four to sex weeks. The scars as you know from previous surgery will take a year or longer to mature. I hope it helps. Luis Vinas MD

Luis A. Vinas, MD

+2

Thanks for posting the photo. In my opinion you still look asymmetric, sorry. You need to allow full healing berfore even thinking about another operation. Regards Dr. Blinski from MIAMI 

Softening and settling after breast lift

+2

Settling after a breast lift will depend on suturing within the gland of the breast and the skin shaping. When glandular sutures are placed, the softening and shaping occurs much like a breast reduction, and the 'final' shape appears at about three to six months. From your photo it does appear that one breast is fuller and slightly higher, a look that may resolve as the skin relaxes and the sutures give way. As far as tacking sutures go, the surgeon's technique should be to match your opposite breast as closely as possible. Time will tell.

peterejohnsonmd

Tissue settles after breast lift

+2

As with most surgical trauma, an inflammatory phase is triggered to promote the healing, and this commonly takes 3 to 6 months to complete its work.  This is why many surgeons won't recommend revisions until after the tissues have returned to the resting state without inflammation.  With surgical tacking and infrastructure rearrangement, we hope to prevent,or at least slow, the effects of gravity from pulling on our tissues for a long term result.  In your case, you may want to consider revision if the asymmetry continues to be problematic after 6 months.  Thanks for the photos.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts take time to settle

+2

In general one should not panic as results can only be assessed after healing has occurred.  It is completely normal for some asymmetry to exist for three to six months after a unilateral breast lift.  Once the swelling has resolved and the skin has stretched then one would start to evaluate the results.  Until the swelling and healing have occurred it is difficult to assess a result.  It is also important to remember that breasts are most commonly a little asymmetric.  Moreover revision surgery can be done, however waiting until full healing is complete in general is what we suggest in our practice. 

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Don't panic

+2

You are still too early one to judge whether you need an additional revision-stay up on you post-op visits and withi about 6 months re-evaluate if you need additional work done.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon