How Long Can You Keep Botox Past the Expiry Date Printed on the Box? Mine Says Oct.2012

I forgot my Vial of Botox at home in the refrigerator when I had my bladder injections done at the hospital. I had to buy a new bottle there. My box at home has an expiry date of Oct.2012. Will this still be stable next January when I have the procedure done again ? Also would it be best to store it in the refrigerator or freezer for that length of time ? Thanks for any feedback.

Expired Botox

+2

in the US it is illegal for the patient to have bottles of Botox. It will be guaranteed sterile until the expiration date, as long as it has not already been reconstituted. Once diluted it needs to be used within 4 hours. If you use it past the date of expiration it will likely still work, but it might not last as long. I would keep it frozen.

Botox storage

+1

Your treating physician should be the best person to answer the question.  Having patients be responsible for storage and transporting of their Botox product is not ideal in any situation or location of residency.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Do not use expired Botox

+1

it is not a good idea to transport botox back and forth. It is shipped to doctors on dry ice, mixed when needed. Do not use expired botox. .

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox expiration dates

+1

It would be best to contact your treating physician, who I will assume does not live in the U.S. Physicians in the U.S. don't send our patients home with vials for fear of something happening to them - i.e.,a problem with temperature control, selling them to someone else, etc. In the U.S. we need to keep the vials ourselves and have strict guidelines to follow. I won't inject anything that's expired or any drug a patient brings in with them. That has to do with malpractice in the U.S. So, really, it's best to contact your injecting physician and ask him or her about their willingness to inject something expired. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How long for Botox expiration

+1

Regardless of common knowledge, unless you get a written statement from the manufacturer it is unlikely that any US doctor will knowingly inject an expired drug. Good Luck

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Quite honestly, stored under ideal conditions, this product is probably good for years beyond that date.

+1

You did not tell us where you live.  In the United States because of concerns over medical malpractice, physicians will be reluctant to use an expired product.  Hospital are even more cautious.  Outside of the United States this is probably a bit less of an issue although this may very by location.  You might want to contact your treating physician now and find out at this time if this will be an issue.