How Long Do I Bleach my Natural Teeth Before Selecting a Veneer Color?

What is the maximum whiteness of my teeth? How many weeks are needed when using home whiteners to get really white teeth? What is the average amount of time that people whiten their teeth before settling on the matching veneer shade?

Teeth whitening or bleaching needs with porcelain veneers

+2

1 teeth whitening is ideal to do before porcelain veneers to get the natural teeth as white as possible 2. wait ten days after whitening so the color will settle and porcelain veneers can then be matched to the new white color 3. this will create a beautiful smile that you can be confident with and enjoy!! Dr Debra Glassman   

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Bleaching before veneers

+2

There's no set time for the duration of bleaching teeth.  It depends on the existing shade of teeth and how many shades it takes to achieve the desired shade of white.  The rule of thumb is that teeth should not be whiter than the whites of the eyes.  On average, patients bleach teeth for two weeks before the veneer prep is done.  But that also depends on how often and how long the patients wear their bleaching trays at home. ZOOM in-office bleaching is recommended since it is most efficient and is done by a professional.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening and Veneers

+2

Whiten your teeth until the desired shade is achieved before starting veneers. The color of the non -veneered teeth will fade in time and will need touch up whitening. The cosmetic dentist can match the shade of the adjacent teeth with skill, judgement, experience, and technology. 

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

How long to Bleach Before Veneers?

+1

In general, whitening your teeth with bleaching trays will take you about 7-10 days to give you the desired result. You should stop bleaching for approximately 72 hours before choosing the final shade for your veneers.  This will give your teeth time to rehydrate and allow for a more accurate shade match.  

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Bleach your teeth for at least 1 week before veneers.

+1

You can go longer than that if your teeth have more color in them. Remember to take at least 3-4 days off of bleaching before you go in for a shade match,the teeth need to rehydrate.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening and porcelain veneers

+1

Always whiten your teeth until you are happy with the shade /color of your teeth, most people do 2 to 3 weeks and before they go to their dentist to select a color they should stop 48 hrs before appointment day. It all depends how much whiter you want to go !!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Don't Mix and Match

+1

Mixing whitening and veneers is a mistake.  The colors will never match and since whitened teeth are not color stable you will constantly be touching up the natural teeth in hopes of matching the veneers.

The only exception I make is when one whitens the lower teeth and does veneer work on the upper.  Even in these cases the patient eventually will do the lower veneers to get a more color stable end result.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist