How Long for Belly Button to Heal?

Hi I had a full tummy tuck two months ago and my belly button is healed but if I dont have something in it it seems to get smaller right away, just wondering how long it takes for the final shape and size.

Belly Button Healing after Tummy Tuck

+3

The belly button should heal just the rest of the incisions after tummy tuck.  However, in rare circumstances, the circular scar / incision used to create the belly button continues to contract or constrict.  In some cases, this scar needs to be released or the belly button keeps shrinking like you describe.  You should discuss your case with your surgeon.  In most cases, at 3 to 6 months you see your final result.  However, scars continue to mature / soften and tissue continues to settle even over the next year.

Good Luck.

Belly button tightening after tummy tuck

+3

The belly button is a circular scar and for some after tummy tuck the scar can tighten making the belly button smaller. Usually after six months, the scar will become softer and less reactive and massage can help. also as you have noticed the belly button can be filled up to keep it open. Bacitracin ointment on gauze tightly pushed into the belly button will work well. Your surgeon may wish to place a small amount of steroid in the scar to relax it. We have even had one clever patient who used a glass marble taped in, to open and soften the scar. If you have found something that works to keep the scar open, keep up the effort for a few more months and it should pay off.

peterejohnsonmd

Concerns regarding a narrow belly button

+3

There is considerable narrowing of your belly button which can be related to several factors including partial loss of the tissue with subsequent narrowing; an initially small size that was used; chronic inflammation that has led to narrowing; and greater and prolonged swelling than average.

What should you do? I would share your concern with your doctor who can then make recommendations.

Ultimately if this does not improve, the I would consider a revision at least 6 months to a year postoperatively - when virtually all of the swelling and inflammation should have resolved.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Healing Belly Button

+3

We generally think of most aggressive scar formation being done by about 3 months and then it may take several months after that for total scar healing.  You should work closely with your surgeon since the scar in this area may have a tendency to heal in a tight circle.  Keeping something there to keep it more open is good.  If the scar is getting thick, it might benefit from injection with a dilute steroid - this is another thing your primary surgeon can evaluate you for.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Belly button hole closing off

+2

Belly button hole closing is secondary to poor healing of your belly button incision line. I have seen this once and it was associated with very aggressive scar formation, hypertrophic scarring of the belly button incision line. You will likely have to get this revised or treated.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Belly button healing after tummy tuck

+2

There is an incison all the way around your belly button after an abdominoplasty.  Sometimes the healing around the area is slow or uneven.  I would place some vaseline gauze in the area daily for a while until the area completely heals.

Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD