How Long Before I Can Go to a Social Event After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I'm having surgery on the 18th of July and hopefully plan to go to a wedding on the 27th. Would this be possible? If any more details as to the surgery let me know.

Time Required To Recover After A Rhinoplasty

+2

Every patient heals differently depending on several points. Mainly, the healing speed/pace depends on the type of surgery (open vs closed with more vs less healing time respectively), the type of skin the patient has (the thicker the longer of healing time is required), the diet, the level of invasion the surgeon applies onto the tissues, etc.

Based on the aforementioned healing "facilitators", the average patient takes about 10-14 days to be able to be socially and professionally active given that the patient does not engage in moderate to heavy exercises.

As you can tell, many variables come into play when you are considering a 9 days post-op mark especially that you did not undergo the surgery yet and there is no way you can predict your status at that time before undergoing the procedure.

Thank you for your post and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Recovery time after a rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty recovery varies tremendously from patient to patient.  Many patients feel comfortable at one week going to work at one week and being socially active at 2 weeks.  Please beware of the following factors which can alter healing time: 

• Surgeon- some surgeons will have gentler technique and more accurate tissue dissection. these patients will tend to have less swelling and bruising
  • Technique-  patients typically with closed techniques tend to heal faster than open.  this is in part because closed rhinoplasty patients typically have less change to the nose (especially the nasal tip).  
  • Skin thickness-  thicker skin patients will require more healing time than thinner skinned patients.
  • Projection-  Noses which are projected during the procedure heal faster than noses that are deprojected
  • Pre and postoperative adherence-  Avoidance of blood thinners, using tape and kenalog when appropriate and complying with ice and avoidance of salty food can all help to expedite healing after a rhinoplasty
  • Individual healing-  Every individual has some unique aspects which can make healing longer 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Social events after rhinoplasty

+1
It depends. If you had a small dorsal hump reduction using a closed approach, you probably can attend any social event after a week or even within 5-6 days. If you had tip work, grafts inserted or osteotomy performed, you probably need 1-2 weeks. Most patients should not bruise unless bones were broken in which case you could attend an event after 7 days.  Some surgeons are more gentle and meticulous and therefore, you will need less time to heal.  

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon