How Long Before I Can Pursue a Bone Graft Removal Post-Revision?

After my primary, my surgeon suggested I need to build my bridge up and that he could do that by using freeze dried cadaver bone. Everything he said sounded fine. It's been 4 weeks since the surgery and I very much so regret having the revision. The contours of the bone are very evident and the nose like it almost projects out again. I would like to remove the bone graft. It is physically painful and I always feel the pressure on my bridge, which is distracting throughout the day.

How long after Rhinoplasty can I have bone graft removed?

+1

I'd have to have a bit more history for a complete evaluation but most likely a 6 month interval would be standard before removing the bone graft.  Depending on what else was done during the revision Rhinoplasty, you may need a straight silastic dorsal graft. 

IMHO, the nasal bone may have been reduced to accommodate the bone grfat which means you'd have no nasal bridge if you simply removed the bone graft without replacing it with something else.  I prefer the reliability and stability of the straight silastic dorsal grafts.

Rhinoplasty

+1

You have a bone graft that is noticable, It can be burred down and rounded. If absolutely you want it removed, remove sooner than later it is easier.

At least 12 months

+1

you have to speak to your surgeon about this...I think that it is always prudent to wait at least six months to remove any grafts...most surgeons would recommend at least 12 months

Babak Azizzadeh, MD