Will Lipo Results Take Longer if Right Compression Garment Isn't Used?

I had lipo on lower abs and love handles two months ago. after lipo i had flat tummy but when time to change compression garment i couldnt find right one for swelling.so i am swollen i hope. i mean i hope this is not my results after not using right compression.

Lipo and garments

+1

I prefer that patients wear a lipo garment for 3-6 weeks psot surgery. However, some surgeons do not use them.  I think it helps with swelling and redraping.  You probably are OK.

Post Lipo Compression Garment

+1

As long as you wear the compression garment for the first week or so after surgery, you should be fine.  Some surgeons do not even recommend compression garments.  However, I feel that that garment helps keep down the swelling in the short term and also helps with the redraping of the skin during the first post-operative week.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction and compression garments

+1

For many patients, compression garments at two months is more for comfort than a medical necessity. At this time, patients who feel better with the support continue to wear it until they feel they don't need it because they are no longer uncomfortable without the support.  Other patients never feel comfortable in their garments and stop them as soon as the doctor says it's appropriate.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Right compression garment

+1

Most likely no, but there is always that question in my mind. What if! So ask the surgeon what they like to recommend and for how long. Also lymphatic massage DO HELP!

From MIAMI Dr. B

Liposuction for love handles and abdomen and results without full use of garment.

+1

You probably did nothing to affect the result. The garment is for comfort and to keep sagging skin from falling when there is quite a bit extra.

At 2 months post lipo, you are at about 80% of where you are going to be at 4-5 months.

+1

Liposuction results take 4-5 months to get to the end result in the ave. patient.  At 2 months you should be at about 80% improvement.  The lipo garments are helpful during the first 1 month.  You have to be sure you are not gaining wt and you are exercising as your doc instructs.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction garment

+1

The post-op compression garment is very important after any liposuction surgery.  It must be worn 24 hrs/day for a minimum of one month to achieve the best results.  At 2 months post-op, you may be somewhat swollen, but generally all of the swelling should be gone by 3 months.  Some of my patients wear the compression garment for the whole 3 months, in order to achieve optimum results.

Tracy L. Cordray, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

This garment most likely has no bearing on your result.

+1

Remember that with tumescent liposuction it is often only necessary to wear a garment for 4 or 5 days.  After that the compression provided by the garment is to help support the body and help the patient be more comfortable. There is no evidence that long term wear has any bearing on out come. Typically, longer term compression garment wear is recommended for liposuction performed under general anesthesia.  

However, again after about a week, the garment is mostly like just helping support the body so things don't jostle and cause discomfort from movement.  What is best here is for you to see your surgeon and compare before and after photos to determine what is going on. 

Liposuction Compression - Is it Necessary?

+1

There really is no right answer as to which compression garments work the best.  As long as the garment is firm, it doesnt matter what it is.  Some people use the surgical post-op garments that they buy online ( Marena, etc.), while others wear Spanks or things of that nature.  As long as you wore some sort of compression for 6-8 weeks, then I wouldn't worry so much.  I am sure that there are plenty of women who never wear any sort of compression and still get the results, so you just never know.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon