How Long Before Daughter is Up and Around After a Breast Reduction?

my 17 y/o daughter is 5'4/125lbs/36DD,active & physically fit multi soccer teams,track& field. She is having breast reduction at the end of the month,2 days before homecoming. It is her last and would like to attend, we have counted on her not feeling well enough to go, is it even a possibility? Also, with patients with similar conditions and fitness levels what would you expect the recovery time to be? (I understand every person recovers differently, also may have complications)

Recovery After Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Even though your daughter is healthy and fit, going to a Homecoming dance 2 days after breast reduction surgery is not a good idea.  This is a large surgery and she will need at least a week of recovery.

Your plastic surgeon will give you more precise information as to how long she should wait before starting her sporting activities.

Best Wishes.

Breast Reduction Surgery: Recovery Time and Healing

+1

Breast Reduction surgery offers significant improvement in breast shape, size, and comfort.  The surgery takes a number of hours to do, and really requires several weeks of recovery.  This is due to the fact that the breast is completely reshaped and excess tissue is removed.  There are quite a few sutures required for the reshaping and lifting.  Time is required to allow the breasts to heal adequately such that healing problems, infections, and excess swelling and bleeding does not occur.

I ask my patients to take at least 7 days off of work if they do a sedentary job.  For people who are very active and exercise daily, several weeks of rest are required so that the breast healing is not disrupted.  

The breast reduction really does require recovery time and it is important to give the body time to heal so that the best results can be enjoyed.   The end results of successful breast reduction/lift surgery can be life changing, with a great improvement in self-esteem, health, and comfort.   These procedures are also very gratifying for the doctor...being able to help our patients with dramatic change!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast reduction

+1

Breast reduction surgery is not as difficult or painful an operation to recover from that you might think, given the magnitude of the procedure. Two days, however, seems like it is cutting things too close and I would suggest a waiting period on the order of 4 or 5 days.  You should ask qthe plastic surgeon.  Also ask if there will be drains placed and if so, how long they will be there.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Recovery time after breast reduction

+1

Following a breast reduction one can get up and move around in a day or two, however, I would not suggest going to a large function, like a homecoming dance, so soon after the surgery.  For more strenuous activites such as soccer, I would suggest she wait at least 4 to six weeks before returning to sports.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast reduction

+1

My advice to patients regarding scheduling elective surgery is to not do it too soon to important events so they don't miss the event. Your daughter will not be able to enjoy her Homecoming function two days after major surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Recovery after breast reduction

+1

As you are aware, everyone heals differently. Your daughter sounds like she is very healthy so I would expect that she will heal relatively quickly. However, it seems unlikely that two days after her procedure she would be able to go to homecoming. I tell my patients that most of them will be up and around but taking it easy within a week of surgery and back to light desk job kinds of work between 2 and 4 weeks and that full recovery will be between 6 and 8 weeks for most patients. Your daughter's doctor is probably the best one to give you an estimate as to how quickly she will recover. Good luck to her.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon