Is revision rhinoplasty a good option for me?

I'm 29, and had nasal surgery about 7 years ago. The deviated septum was repaired, the tip lifted and nostrils moved down. It works great, but the tip still bothers me. Its uneven, the sides are noticeably different and its boxy. If it were possible, I'd like to achieve a more refined, feminine nose that wasn't too small or "pinched." Here in Southern California, you see a lot of bad nose jobs walking around! So, what do you think? Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

+1
Hello, and thank you very much for your question. A revision rhinoplasty can help to refine the nasal tip while allowing you to maintain a natural appearance. With the right technique and a fantastic surgeon, great improvements can be made. When considering a surgeon, I would recommend looking for the following:

1) Board certification
2) Great credentials
3) A good amount of before and after photos showcasing the surgeon's work
4) Patient testominals
5) A detailed website with information about the procedure

During a consult, your prospective surgeon may use computer imaging software. This will allow him or her to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear.  I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Revision Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1
Dear BeTTy1073, Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding revision rhinoplasty. I personally think that you would be an excellent candidate for revision rhinoplasty. Some refinements to your nose will make a more balanced softer aesthetic appearance to your overall facial features. Seek an expert in revision rhinoplasty and review the surgeons before and after photographs to make sure that the patients have the nice natural appearance you would like. You want your nose refined and to have a natural appearance to look as if you were born with it and that it was not purchased!! It is important as a surgeon not to perform a "cookie cutter" rhinoplasty. You want to take each patients facial features and structure into consideration during surgery allowing a more natural looking result. Computer imaging will be helpful as well to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for a large tip

+1
Dear BeTTy1073,

• You can refine the tip a little more to make it more feminine
  • To avoid the pinched look, take a look at some before and after doctors' pictures on RealSelf
  • You should pick a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty as they are much more complex than primary rhinoplasties
  • Computer imaging can also be used to give you an idea of how refined the tip can be

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
When considering revision rhinoplasty, it is important to seek a surgeon who shares your aesthetic eye and who can give you natural appearing results that fits the rest of your face.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you might look like from all angles and help with communicating with your surgeon your desired goals.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Goals

+1
Thank you for the pictures and your story. The tip f your nose could be refined with a combination of cartilage shaving and suture techniques.  The best way to avoid an overly-pinched tip is to find a surgeon that achieves more natural-appearing results. I recommend having a few consultations with qualified surgeons before moving forward. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
  Tip refinement through a closed approach will produce a nice, natural improvement.

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

+1
If the tip of the nose is still too wide for you, then a revision rhinoplasty can address the refining the bulbous tip. To reduce the width of the tip, suture techniques are applied to the lower lateral cartilages and sometimes a conservative cartilage removal is also performed at the same time. 

+1
Revision rhinoplasty is an option for you, as the tip of your nose is fuller.  That can be reduced and refined with a revision surgery.  A side view would help to decide exactly what would need to be done.

Considering Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
Your asymmetrical, boxy, large tip is not proportional to the rest of the nose; consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who is a specialist in revision work. With only one view of your nose I cannot tell if surgery can be limited to a tip-plasty or if a full rhinoplasty should be considered. I agree with your observation that here in Southern California we unfortunately see too many extreme unnatural results.