How Long After a Breast Reduction Can U Get in the Gym?

I'm 5'7 204lbs, and I'm up to do my breast reduction in 2 wks. I've reschedule twice to lose weight. The first time I did it and gained it back due to a tragedy and the second just didn't lose the weight. I have plans on starting back next month. I know its best if you lose the weight first but I don't want to keep putting it off. How long after surgery can I start working outA

Breast reduction

For my patients the thing I worry about the most is a hematoma/seroma. This can happen from too much activity too soon. I prefer they wait 3-4 weeks to go back to aerobics and  6 weeks or so to heavy lifting

Return to Exercise after Breast Reduction?

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to resuming activity postoperatively. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications.

Generally speaking, patients in my practice are able to resume walking  and lower body exercise ( such as stationary bike)  relatively early after breast reduction surgery ( 5 to 7 days).  Again, best to check with your own plastic surgeon.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the outcome of the breast reduction procedure.

Working out after breast reduction

I recommend no heavy lifting greater than 10 pounds for approximately 6 weeks after surgery. It is reasonable to begin lower body exercises such as stationary bike and walking after 3 weeks if everything appears to be healing well. It is therefore important to closely follow up with your plastic surgeon after surgery. After the full 6 weeks then full return to all activities including gym activities. As far as losing weight, I understand that this can be a difficult for many people, therefore I do not use weight loss as a prerequisite for breast reduction surgery. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from a Breast Reduction

That is a great question. It is imperative to allow six weeks for the incisions to fully heal before returning back to regular movement. Patients may experience temporary pain, soreness, numbness and swelling for several months which will eventually subside. Hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD