How Long Should I Avoid Using Tampons After a Labiaplasty?

Tampons after surgery

+1
I generally tell patients that tampons cannot be used for six to eight weeks after surgery. However, you should listen to your surgeon.

Tampon use after labiaplasty.

+1

Depending on how soon after labiaplasty surgery your next period occurs, I generally ask my patients to avoid tampons for two menstrual cycles, which allows a bare minimum of about 5 weeks (or up to 7 weeks) for healing to occur.

All scar tissue softening and sensory nerve healing can take 6-12 months or more, but most activities, including intimate ones, are resumed by 6 weeks post op. Tampons are actually not immediately adjacent to the suture lines with labiaplasty, so careful insertion and frequent exchange is possible sooner than this specific recommendation, but I would recommend asking your surgeon first. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Depends upon the technique

+1

The answer here should be made by your surgeon after your operation. It would vary between 4-6 weeks on average.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty:post operative care

+1

Care after surgery:

1. tampons gently placed when swelling is gone  , 2-3 weeks
  2. sitz baths
  3. cool compresses
  4. antibacterial cream
  5. no sex for 4-6 weeks and then be gentle

Postop recovery and restrictions following labiaplasty are very specific.

+1

To provide the most healthy environment for wound healinf following labiaplasty it is important to follow your surgeons specific postoperative restrictions and orders. I ask my patients to keep the labia clean, the labia incisions moistened and the entire area iced for 72 hours. In addition I believe it is importannt to protect the area for 6-12 weeks from activities like bike riding, horseback riding and intercourse. Tampons if placed gently can be used after two weeks but care must be taken to replace them every few hours.

Laurie Casas, MD

Tampons after Labiaplasty

+1

I generally recommend patient avoid tampons (sits baths, swimming, & jacuzzis) for 3 weeks following Labiaplasty and sexual activity for 4 weeks.  Most other activities can be resumed within a wk or two at most...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labia Reduction and Tampon Use?

+1

I advise patients to avoid the use of tampons for about one month after surgery. Patients have pads  place at the time of surgery and use pads around the area for one week after surgery. Other postoperative instructions...Bed rest is requested for 2 days with ice on the area during that time. Patients may resume light activity and “desk job” after 3 days but should avoid strenuous activity / sports for at least 3 weeks. Sexual intercourse may be resumed carefully after 4 weeks. I will want to see the patient for a post-operative visit 4-7 days after surgery and then again in a month (if possible).

I tell patients “no boys, no bikes,  and no horses ( horseback riding) for one month after surgery.