How Long Does One Need to Apply Efudex for Results?

I was prescribed Effudex for AK. The doctor wanted me to apply twice a day for six weeks. I could only tolerate three weeks, the burn and pain was intolerable. I have scabbed and crusted, will three weeks give me results? I will never do this again.

Efudex

+1

Some dermatologists prescribe this only for two weeks, others may recommend it for four or more weeks. It depends on the amount of precancerous changes that are noted and your extent of background photodamage, as well as the location of the damage such as the arms or face. You may get truly wonderful results with only three weeks and despite your rough course, you might have prevented yourself from some skin cancers in the future and lessened your chance of needing surgical excision and reconstructive surgery.

Efudex may work in 3 weeks

+1

In my practice we typically use Efudex for 3-4 weeks depending upon how the patient tolerates it. It is not uncommon to stop treatment at 3 weeks and have great results.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon