How Long Will Antibiotic Take to Clear a Staph Infected Hematoma After Breast Augmentation?

Implants were replaced 3 wks ago. Deveolped a hematoma a week after surgery. They installed a drain. Days later I have a fever and the doctor removes the drain thinking its the cause. He took a culture of the draining blood. Fever subsides but the amount of drainage is still about the same. The cultures come back positive for a heavy growth staph infection that is resistent to most antibiotics. New scrpit was given, its been three full days...still in pain and still draining.

Antibiotics may not clear an infected breast implant

+1

Once an infection has been established around a breast implant the infection can be very difficult to clear with antibiotics. Often the bacteria take hold again as the antibiotic is withdrawn as long as the implant is still in place. The drug resistant staph is worrisome and the implant may have to come out.

Infection and impalnts

+1

Without knowing exactly what is going on, I could not be sure. But, based upon your description it sounds like you have an infection and may need the implant removed.  Follow closely with your doctor.

Stay Close to your Surgeon

+1

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. You need to stay in close contact with your surgeon as this process works itself out. He or she will need to examine and re-examine you over this time to determine the best course of action. The medication you are taking does not guarantee a good outcome.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon