How Long After a Tummy Tuck Should I Wait to Get Liposuction on Hips and Thighs?

i had a tummy tuck done on nhs 3 weeks ago but didnt get liposuction done but am not happy with how my hips or thighs look and so want to pay to get liposuction done on these so i can feel truley happy with my weight loss results but how long should i wait before getting the lipo done?

How soon after tummy tuck to have liposuction

+2

Normally these procedures are perfomed simultaneously. However once you have had the tummy tuck, I would likely recommend waiting at least 3-4 months. At this time you could undergo revisiojn of the abdominoplasty incision if necessary.

Ater tummy tuck, wait 3 months to do lipo on hips but thighs can be done right away.

+2

After a tummy tuck, you should wait about 3 months to do hips since you want to blend the hips and tummy together and you will probably need to do lipo on the upper abdomen anyway since tummy tucks don't do well on upper tummys by itself.  Thighs can be liposuctioned right away.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lenght of Time to wait to do Lipo after a Tummy Tuck

+1

I would say as soon as the Tummy Tuck is healed.  Waiting 1-2 months to do the liposuction would be sufficient since it is a different area of the body. 

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, liposuction, timing

+1

I agree with the majority of surgeons on this entry, 3-6 months is always a good generally guideline for two reasons:

1. It allows the soft tissues to fully "settle" so you can appreciate the final result.

2. It allows the patient to really have the time to consider their results carefully, and determine what they really like and what they don't like, so if there is anything else, they can discuss it with their surgeon, and develop an effective plan.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Lipo after a tummy tuck

+1

I normally combine both procedures in the Bikini Tummy Tuck. In your situation I would wait between two and three months,

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+1

Provided that you don't have excessive inflammation, tenderness or any complications then doing liposuction around three to six months after the abdominoplasty should be fine. You want to be well healed from the tummy tuck before doing liposuction near the area because the convalescence could be more painful and prolonged if it is done while the body is still healing. You also want to allow maximum time for the swelling to decrease so that all of the lower body contour is reevaluated prior to the liposuction in case other areas are needed to be done.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

On average 3 months to allow full tummy healing and please check you blood levels for anemia. If these are OK than you can proceed with the liposuction. 

How long between tummy tuck and liposuction of the hips and thighs.

+1

You can do this at any time now since they are separate from the tummy tuck wound. Some surgeons wait 6-12 weeks, but as long as it doesn't involve the stomach, any time now should be fine.

Often best to combine lipo with tummy tuck

+1

It is unfortunate that you didn't plan to do the procedures together as it would have likely saved money and combined the recovery period. Although there has been some debate in the past about the safety of combining these procedures, there are good studies now to support the safety of doing them at the same time. At this point I would suggest waiting a minimum of 6 weeks for healing the tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction to enhance tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction is often combined with tummy tuck to shape the hip and ease the transition to the flank. It is another tool to refine abdominal shape and contour as a followup procedure for some, and later can be combined with liposuction of the thigh or upper arm. It may be best to wait three to six months after your tummy tuck procedure before you have additional liposuction as this will allow for adequate healing and softening of the abdomen and give the most predictable liposuction result.

peterejohnsonmd