How Long After a Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair Until I Can Go Back to Weight Lifting in the Gym?

I have been weight lifting in the gym for about 9 months. I love it and wonder when I can return to lifting. I had a hernia repair, diastasis recti and a tummy tuck.

Weight lifting

I would avoid weight lifting and training for at least 4-6 months and I would refrain from heavy lifting even longer

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028

Weight Lifting after Tummy Tuck

Hi Kymme,

Always follow the post-op instructions of your PS to ensure the best result. I think it would be best to avoid weight lifting for at least 6 weeks post-op to protect your hernia and diastasis repair. Heavy lifting with significant straining should probably be delayed for at total of 12 weeks post-op. Be careful and take care your investment.

Best of Luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

801 North Weisgarber Road
Knoxville, TN 37909

How Long After a Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair Until I Can Go Back to Weight Lifting i

This question should be addressed to your surgeon, who knows what was done and has followed you through the healing process. I generally permit return to full activities at six weeks. At that time the wound healing process has reaching 90% of the strength it will attain ("bursting strength"). When you start, pick up gradually. Best wishes. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Running or exercising 2 weeks post-surgery is not recommended at all. You can open your incision, your skin and body is not normal. At 6 weeks is when you are able to return back to normal activities.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

9025 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211