How Long After Tumescent Tummy Tuck Should You Watch for Increased Bleeding?

If I decide to go with a tumescent tummy tuck because my doctor says it is safe. should I still watch for the risk of increased bleeding and if so for how long after the procedure?

Bleeding with tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

Bleeding tends to occur  in the first 24 hours following surgery and then again between  7-10 days after surgery.

Tumescent effects on bleeding with body sculpting

+1

Tumescent infiltration helps to reduce bleeding for up to 6 hours but may be followed by vasodilation or increased blood flow in the post operative period for 6 to 12 hours.  The same may be said of any procedure that involves local anesthesia with a vasoconstrictor, commonly epinephrine.  If you are using tissue compression with a firm garment or elastic bandage, this will help to minimize the potential for postoperative bleeding.  It also helps to keep your activity to a minimum during the first 24 hours, so don't be out shopping for a new bikini just yet.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after Tummy Tuck

+1

First of all, tumescent tummy tuck is not a procedure.  Are you referring to an abdominoplasty or to tumescent liposuction.  In most cases I perform tumescent liposuction at the same time as abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), but the term tumescent tummy tuck is not standard.  I am just asking because I want to make sure that you are having the correct procedure.  As for bleeding, there is a small risk with any procedure, but you and your surgeon will know if it happens - it is not something that you should expect to happen.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD