How Long After a TT Can You Swim Without Risk of Infection?

I have a TT, with lipo, and hernia repair scheduled for the first week of June. Will I be able to swim in the ocean on a vacation 8 weeks later, or will the risk of infection still be too high?

Swimming after Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have an uncomplicated recovery you should be able to swim as soon as 4 weeks after surgery. That does not mean you will be ready for Olympic competition, but your scar will be healed enough to be exposed to pool or sea water. I allow my patients to shower the day after surgery!

If you have any wound healing issues then this may be delayed until they resolve. The more time you can give yourself between surgery and an important vacation, the better!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck recovery

+1

if you heal without any complications, then you should be able to return to ful physical activity including swimming at 6 weeks following surgery.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and exercise

+1

If you want to swim after a tummy tuck, I usually have patients wait about 6-8 weeks until after surgery to start vigorous activity.

How long to wait after tummy tuck?

+1

8 weeks will be a sufficient time to recover prior to swimming as long as 1) your incision heals well and there is no opening and  2) you are healthy and feeling good.  You should also see your plastic surgeon prior to going on your vacation so that she/he can clear you.

Swimming in the ocean following a tummy tuck

+1

For a variety of reasons, I would recommend waiting approximately 8 weeks following your tummy tuck before swimming in the ocean. You would want to also make sure that all your incisions are completely healed before doing this.

Finally, ask your plastic surgeon his/her recommendations as they were the one who performed your procedure.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Swimming After Tummy Tuck

+1

I would not have a problem with you swimming 8 weeks after your TT, assuming that there were no open wounds.  My concerns about swimming after surgery are related more to the stress on the surgical reapir than to any increase risk of infection.

How Long After a Tummy Tuck Can You Swim Without Risk of Infection?

+1

Regarding: "How Long After a TT Can You Swim Without Risk of Infection?
I have a TT, with lipo, and hernia repair scheduled for the first week of June. Will I be able to swim in the ocean on a vacation 8 weeks later, or will the risk of infection still be too high
?"

Surgical infections can happen from intravenous sources or from open wounds. Once the drains are removed and the wounds are sealed, there is no reason why you cannot take baths or wade into the water. The risk of infection will not be higher.

However, the question is when can your muscle repair and overlying skin heal sufficiently to tolerate the  stresses involved in swimming. I prefer my patients wait at least 4 weeks before challenging the repair.

Dr. Peter Aldea

When can you hit the pool/ocean after tummy tuck

+1

Based on your healing, I generally clear patients to get into a pool or shallow calm beach water around 4 to 5 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  But I don't clear patients to swim until after six weeks.   Now, how large is your abdominal wall hernia?  The complexity of your hernia repair may require you to wait a few more weeks.   However, to answer your question, at eight weeks, you should be OK to enjoy the ocean.  Good luck with your surgery and enjoy the vacation!

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Ok to swim 8 weeks post tummy tuck

+1

If you heal without issues, I allow patients to swim at 6 weeks.   If there is any evidence of wound breakdown, blistering, or skin separation; I encourage them to be safe and not swim until the incision fully seals.   If you want to ensure that you can swim during your vacation, you may consider performing surgery 1 month earlier or delaying your trip by 1 month.   This way, you have a time window to heal if you develop a wound postop.   

I wish you a safe recovery and wonderful trip!!

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Swimming 8 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

As Dr. Placik said, as long as you have no openings and are physically healthy, you should be able to swim safely at 8 weeks.