How Long After the Initial Consultation, Would It Take to Have Fraxel Laser Therapy Completed?

I was hoping to have the procedure done before I go back to college in September. However my consultation isn't until the last week in July. The treatment would be for scarring on the face. I know this is a rather hairy-fairy question since I don't have any information on what exact laser type would be used and since waiting times differ in all countries/clinics. I fully understand that it's difficult to put a time frame on things. But in general, how long after 1st consultation would it take?

Fraxel Laser for Scars

+1
I wish you had provided a photo.  If the acne scars are deep it will generally take several Fraxel treatments and they need to be spaced about one month apart.  If you begin right after your consultation, you will probably only be able to have two sessions.  The procedure itself is simple and after an hour of topical numbing lasts about ten minutes.  There is only a few days of redness or mild swelling.  If you have a darker complexion you may need to pre-treat with a hydroquinone before Fraxel or may not be a good candidate for the procedure. Please go to an experienced Cosmetic Dermatologist who has a thorough knowledge of the Fraxel.

Topical agents or antibiotic might be prescribed prior to Fraxel Laser Therapy

+1

Fraxel Laser Therapy may be performed immediately following consultation. However there are some instances where a few weeks of time may be needed between the consultation and treatment. For example, if melasma or brown discoloration in the skin is being treated a topical lightening agent may be recommended as a pre-treatment for a few weeks before the Fraxel Laser Therapy. Also, an oral antibiotic may be prescribed to patients with an extensive history of acne to be taken before and after the laser treatment to prevent an acne flare. Lastly, an oral antiviral medication may be prescribed to patients with a history of cold sores on their lips to be taken before the laser treatment. It is best to check with your doctor about any pre-treatment concerns.

Amy Forman Taub, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Treatments

+1

Your Fraxel Treatment should last about 30 minutes. You may experience sunburn like symptoms for a couple of days. You should wait at least 3-4 weeks in between sessions.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Fraxel laser treatment

+1

It may just take a day or two to have the procedure done, but you may require several treatments depending on the extent of your scarring.  Make sure you are being treated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has laser experience.  You must avoid sun exposure after your treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel Repair Laser treatment of scars can be done within a day or two of the consultation.

+1

Our practice is 100% laser and cosmetic surgery and has been for over ten years.  We like to meet the needs of our patients and take care of them in a way that fits their schedule and needs.  If a patient needs to have a treatment this week or tomorrow, we make it happen.  I hope you are able to get the right treatment at the right time for you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon