How Long After is the Chin Support Important?

I just got chin/neck liposuction and my first night in my sleep I took my compression garmet off!!! I woke up in a panic! Did I just ruin everything? I looked at myself in the mirror and I still had my double chin which I was not happy about. I'm terrible bruised all over my neck. The stressing was off for about 5 hours total while I was sleeping.

Recovery after chin liposuction

+1

The chin will require some compression after liposuction.  The compression should be evenly distributed and not too tight as to cause edema or constriction.  I would recommend the compression from 48 hours to 5 days. 

Chin Garment after Chin Liposuction

+1

I recommend wearing the garment to reduce the appearance of seroma.  I would continue wearing it until your plastic surgeon tells you to take it off.  A few hours without it may have done little damage.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The Garment is Important After Chin Liposuction

+1

The compression garment is very important to the overall result.  It helps reduce swelling and fluid build up as well as aiding in the contour of the neck.  Please wear it!  The typical time frame is 4-6 weeks of use.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Pressure after chin liposuction is often recommended but is not a requirement.

+1

Pressure on an area treated by liposuction assists the body in symmetrically removing the postoperative swelling. It is not a necessary adjunct to the procedure. It simply facilitates the anticipated result in a slightly shorter period of time.

Chin support after chin/neck liposuction

+1

While it is generally recommended to use some sort of compression on the neck after liposuction, you most likely did not cause any harm when your compression garment came off for five hours.  I would be sure to put it back on and follow the instructions of your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon