How Long After Temporarly Lip Fillers Can Perm. Ones Be Done?

What is the waiting period between temp. fillers can silikon be put in? And how much at a time is appropriate? I hear right away and also the opposite.

Wait 3-4 months after temporary fillers before putting in permanent implants into the lips.

+2

Permanent implants for $1500-2000 per lip can be put in the lips as soon as 2 months after temp. fillers but I would prefer 3-4 months.  I do not recommend silicon injections into the lips because of the distortions and granulomas. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Permanent filler use in Lip Augmentation

+1

IMHO, Silikon and whatever they are calling liquid silicone these days, should never be injected into the lips.  Silicone injection can cause the lips to baloon up for many years after being placed and are unpredictable.  Don't do it.

Permanent lip fillers can follow temporary fillers immediately

+1

Permanent lip fillers can follow temporary fillers immediately. Permanent fillers must be built up over time so they do not interfere with temporary fillers. Gortex implants can be placed at any time.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Temporary Vs. Permanent Fillers for Lips

+1

1.  I would wait for most of the filler to be gone but you do not have to wait for all of it to dissipate.

2.  I believe silicone micro droplets are safe in the right hands.  Please see the reference section attached on my web site (look toward the bottom of the web page referenced and go the link on silicone safety) regarding my opinions on this matter.  Also see the attached video.

3.  I do not believe fat grafting works well here because it tends to be absorbed over time, and I have written one of the landmark books on fat grafting, Complementary Fat Grafting.

4.  I think Artefill (which I do all the time) and Radiesse (which I used to do but think is a good product) are terrible in the lips.  So I disagree with the other doctor recommending these options.

5.  The doctor that said that silicone is ONLY approved for the retina also must remember that Radiesse was ONLY approved for the bladder and vocal cords but was used as a facial filler for several years legally and correctly.  Botox is ONLY approved for between the eyes and it is used elsewhere on the face.  Restylane is ONLY approved the nasolabial grooves but it is used elsewhere on the face.  Silicone can be legally and appropriately used in the face with proper consent from the physician since it is being used off-label like all the other medications mentioned above.  Yes, permanent fillers carry risk but that is up to a discussion between your physician and patient but to say that it is ONLY used for the retina is misleading and inaccurate.

hope that helps.

best

dr. sam lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent lip augmentation

+1

Wait until the temporary filler has completely resorbed for the most accurate assessment of how large the permanent implant should be.  If you do it sooner, then the temporary product further resorbs shrinking your lips, and you may regret not having chosen a larger permanent implant (unless you choose the largest to begin with, understanding there will be continued resorption of the temporary product).

Steve Laverson, MD

Fillers and lips

+1

Temporary fillers in the  lips usually last anywhere between 2 to 6 months. Silicone implants are permanent.

You may want to consider if a permanent implant is what you want, as your face will not look the same today as it will in 10, 20 and 30 years.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent filler

+1

Medical Grade Silicone is approved ONLY for detached retina.

It should Not be used as a filler.

Non Medical Grade Silicone (bought from the hardware store) can cause MAJOR problems

Fat Transfer is the best alternative

+1

Why not ask the injector of the temporary filler??? Was the injector even a doctor? I think NOT! Because I know of no doctor using silicone injections here in Miami....If you went to a licensed doctor for a temporary filler I would wait until it is reabsorbed - 3 to 8 months, than try Artefil, Radeisse, or Stem Cell Fat grafts. Oh, I know these cost much more than illegal silicone injections but at least they are approved. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Permanent Lip Enhancement

+1

I would strongly advise to stay away from silicon injections into the lips.  If you really desire a permanent enhancement, there is a newer solid silicone implant that can be placed as a clinic procedure under local anesthesia.  The implant name is SurgiSil.  Results are quite good and there is the advantage that if you are not happy, it can easily be removed. 

I recently had a patient in my office that had silicone injections into the lips.  The silicone caused terrible scarring and subsequent lip deformity.  Because the silicone gel can not be removed, there was not much that could be offered except surgical removal of all the involved lip tissue.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon