How Long After a Surgery Can I Do Fraxel Repair or Restore?

I was born with bilateral cleft lip and I am 19 years old. My last surgery was 2 months ago and I have a new scar because I had lip Advancement. Can I use pulse dye laser and fraxel repair or restore?

Fraxel after surgery

+2

Fraxel re:store or re:pair can be initiated at suture removal or one to two weeks after suture removal. In a pilot study in 2005, following Moh's micrographic skin cancer surgery, we resurfaced half a scar at suture removal and the other half was left as internal control. We demonstrated that at 3 months the treated side was at least 50% improved. We postulated that the Fraxel resurfacing laser initiates a cascade of wound healing that appears to be more efficient compared to wound healing without.

Pulse dye laser treatments NOW... Resurfacing laser in a few more months...

+2

You can start getting pulse dye laser treatments now to decrease the redness of the scar but I recommend waiting at least a 1 to 2 more months before starting with the resurfacing lasers.  This will give you optimal results in minimizing the appearance of your surgical scars. 

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens   

Web reference: http://marinaplasticsurgery.com/

Fraxel

+2

Because the scar is surgery related you should wait about 7-8 months. After that time period it would be safe to have fraxel repair done to your lip.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-fraxel-laser/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

How long should one wait after cleft lip scar revision to proceed with Fraxel or Pulsed Dye laser

+2

I would recommend waiting about two months to have Pulsed Dye laser therapy to improve the redness in the scars.  Therefore, you can start those treatments now.

It's probably better to let the scars mature for 6-9 months before proceeding with Fraxel.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.