How long after surgery before I can resume working out?

I have a strenuous workout schedule of 3 times a week in cross fit and 3 times a week with a personal trainer on weights. I also do not have a desk job.

How long until exercise

+2

I tell my patients no exercise for four weeks post op but you can walk as much as you want as of the day of surgery. Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after surgery

+2

If you are having a TT, then vigorous workouts with trainer, cross fit, etc. usually means about 8 weeks in my practice. I let you return to the gym at 6 weeks and slowly return to full activity of that level by 8 weeks.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Hello

+2

Hello, it all depends on the procedure. What procedure is it?

On the mean time please don't lift weights or do any burpees that could put your health on any type of risk.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+2

You may resume working out when your doctor releases you to do so. I usually tell my patients to wait about six weeks (after tummy tuck) to start doing gym type exercises (lifting weights, machines, crunches, etc). I also make sure that they know to start off slow and work their way back in. You definitely do not need to start off strong. Your body will tell you what it can or can not do, listen to it! When starting back in, do not be alarmed if you have a slight increase in swelling. The swelling will fluctuate in regards to how much you are doing. Good Luck.

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery and exercise

+2

I encourage my tummy tuck patients to ambulate the same day of surgery. But you will be walking in the flexed position. You should be able to walk upright/straight in approximately 7 days. Most of my tummy tuck patients are comfortable to go back to a desk job 10-14 days after surgery. If your work involves strenuous activity or heavy lifting, most surgeons recommend avoiding heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 5 weeks. In general, for most desk jobs, I advise patients to take 10-14 days off if possible so you can focus on your recovery and not on deadlines/clients/meetings. In terms of going back to the gym - hold off on crossfit for 6 weeks. You need to give yourself time to heal.

Lastly, I recommend the use of long acting numbing medicine to numb out the muscle tightening. I utilize Exparel that can have numbness effects than can last up to 3-4 days.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+2

Most surgeons suggest 6 weeks for "average" type work outs, sometimes longer for real vigorous activity. It is best to ask this one directly to your own surgeon who knows what was done and has followed and is responsible for your recovery.

Working Out After Surgery?

+1

Plastic surgeons will vary in their protocols. I generally recommend waiting three weeks to gradually return to limited exercise after surgery, but no impact or weight activities until 4-6 weeks after the operation, in order to limit the risks of complications and to avoid undoing the muscle repair. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and follow his or her recommendations.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After a Tummy Tuck

+1

I advise my patients to wait a minimum of 4 weeks before resuming any formal type of exercise and probably 2 more weeks for strenuous exercise. If you start swelling then you are over doing it. You should check with your surgeon who knows you best. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD