How Long After a Tummy Tuck Seroma Burns Out Can I Start Exercising?

I am in the process of burning out a seroma(hopefully). It has been almost 6 weeks since my tummy tuck. I had signed up for my usual excersize class starting in 3 days, but had to cancel because of my seroma and doctors orders. I am dying to get back to exercising. When can I go back at this point?

Seroma and exercise

+1

I am glad that your seroma is resolving. I would wait a good 3-4 weeks before restarting an exerices regimen after this has resolved.

Exercising after seroma - Tummy tuck complication

+1

I don't know what burning out means a seroma either has to be removed with multiple needle aspirations, placement of a drain or re-operation. They will not go away by themselves but instead will leave a hard ball of scar tissue and fluid. Don't even think of exercising for at least one month after your seroma is totally gone.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

When to resume exercise after tummy tuck seroma

+1

In my opinion, you can get back to exercise when you seroma does not recur for at least 2 weeks after final aspiration.

Seroma after a tummy tuck

+1

Very few surgeons would be happy if his/her patient was back to exercise classes only 3 days after major cosmetic surgery.  Many of us work out ourselves so we get that you don't want to miss your routine.  Many of our patients tell us the very same thing.  Just know that your surgeon is doing all that he/she can to get you back to living your life. Now that you are working your way through a seroma, please stay in close contact with your surgeon and follow their instructions.  Before you know it, you will be back in the gym and of course, better than before.  Yes, losing fitness happens quickly and none of us want to lose ground, but getting it back can happen quickly also.  Hang in there. Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon