How Long After a Rhinoplasty with Tip Work is the Tip Sensitive to Bumps, etc?

Today I was putting on an elastic headband and it snagged under my nose tip and pulled it up with it. It hurt and is still sore now, about 6 hours later. How likely is this to cause changes in the final result of my refined tip? I know the doctors have told me to ask my surgeon and trust me if I could reach him I would ask him. Unfortunately, I cannot reach him or see him for that matter so I need to consult with the pros here. Thanks.

Tip Sensitivity after Rhinoplasty

The tip can be sensitive to the touch for several months after surgery. If you're concerned about compromising your result secondary to tip trauma, avoid being hit in the nose for 6 weeks. Use common sense - don't start playing rugby 7 weeks after your operation. It is extremely unlikely you did any harm with your headband.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Rhinoplasty tenderness

Everyone is a little different, but I agree with the other docs, it could last 6-12 months.  It also depends on how hard you hit it.  I wouldnt worry about any aesthetic changes, it should be fine by tomorrow.

Nima Shemirani, MD

201 South Lasky Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Nose injury after rhinoplasty

It would be very unlikely to have an adverse effect on the outcome of your surgery based on thenature of the injury. You should not worry.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

580 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065

How long after a Rhinoplasty is the nose vulnerable if bumped

The problem with any of us giving advice is we didn't do your Rhinoplasty and have no idea what techniques, sutures, incisions, grafts, degree of difficulty went into your Rhinoplasty.  It's highly unusual that a patient not be able to communicate with the Rhinoplasty surgeon unless the surgeon has retired or has passed away.  In that case, you should find an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon in your area and have your nose examined and take it from there.  having a copy of your op report would be helpful for that surgeon to make an accurate evaluation of the situation.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

It is unlikely that you have caused major damage to your nose from pulling the tip up with a headband. I would still try to see your surgeon and most likely, he/she will not do anything. If on the other hand you noticed a major change in the shape of your nose or excessive swelling, then you will have to wait several months before doing anything about it.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Surgeon and rhinoplasty

Why can't you reach your surgeon? Unfortunately, there are many practitioners of cosmetic surgery who are not easily accessible to their patients during the postoperative period, which I have great difficulty understanding.
Having said that, it is not unusual for the nose to be sensitive for up to a year or so after rhinoplasty.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

7050 W. Palmetto Park Road
Boca Raton, FL 33433

Tip sensitivity following rhinoplasty

Tip sensitivity following rhinoplasty tends to parallel swelling/edema.  This usually lasts 6 months to one year.  Ibuprofen may help intermittently.  Physicians often offer steroid injections for tip edema, but this practice may lead to thinning of the skin and pigment abnormalities.  Otherwise, it just takes time.

Hope this helps!

Jason R. Hess, MD

4060 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103

Following tip rhinoplasty  the nasal tip remain sensitive for several months and sometimes even over one year ,it all depends on the amount of the cartilaginous work and the approach ,open vs close techniques.

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon

3129 Alternate 19
Dunedin, FL 34698