How Long After Rhinoplasty Can I Have a Revision for the Tip?

My revision will mainly be tip work. It may involve removal of alar rim grafts and insertion of a columella strut. Is it safe to have this done 6 months post op?

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

For best results, you need to wait a minimum of one year after rhinoplasty to get a revision.

How long after rhinoplasty can I have a revision for the tip?

+1

It is best to wait around one year before having any revision work performed. Any swelling present can interfere with the surgeon's ability to do his or her best work. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Timing of revision nasal surgery

+1

Typically, for nasal revision surgery that is performed for aesthetic reasons, 9- 12 months depending on skin thickness, is considered the norm.  If a nasal deformity is causing moderate to severe functional problems then changes could be made as soon as 3 months postop but typically 6 months.  As in all surgery, the decisions are best left to you and your doctor, as only you all know the circumstances of your particular case. 

Jaime R. Garza, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When to to perform a revision rhinoplasty

+1

The earlist a revision rhinoplasty should be performed is 6-8 months, and that is for a deformity that is truly debilitating.  Otherwise i recommend 9-12 months as ideal. 

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Revision Nose Surgery

+1

On the average, a revision can be considered after about 1 year.  It really depends on the type of skin you have.  In the case of  thicker skin, you should wait longer for the skin to "shrink" down around the changes made to the cartilage and bone.  If your tip was very large, and you have thick skin, it could even take longer to fully realize your result...Try to obtain more than one consult for your revision surgery, and make sure to bring your before pictures with you.  Also try to get an operative note from the first doctor. This will help the other doctors figure out what was done and how they can help.

Brandon E. Kallman, MD

Revision of rhinoplasty should be delayed at least six months.

+1

Naturally decisions about surgery need to be individualized. On balance however six months is the earliest time a rhinoplasty should be considered for revision.