How Long After Rhinoplasty Will It Be Fine to Go out in Public?

It's been 5 days since my rhinoplasty and my cast is coming off in 2 days. I'm very excited because I can already see the shape and it looks great! I'm only 15 years old so I have healed very well and most of my bruising is gone and my swelling has gone down. The tip looks kinda puffy and I'm worried my nose will look weird when I get my cast off. I need tips and advice about the public and what people will think, etc. Thank you very much!

Anxious about nose appearance after Rhinoplasty

+3

Ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon if it's ok to ice your nose as a way to decrease nasal swelling.  Your nose will swell but hopefully people wont notice. I can tell you that people aee not that observant and if you say you bumped your nose playing sports, they would buy that.

Rhinoplasty and the reveal

+2
I have to say that, in New York, teenagers walk around with nasal splints on almost immediately after surgery. In some neighborhoods, it's like a badge of honor as rhinoplasty is literally a rite of passage. Don't be self conscious and don't worry about what others think. Enjoy your new nose, recognize that swelling does take time to resolve and decide how you want to present the reason for the surgery or change to your friends. If you're female and don't want to "go public" about having had cosmetic surgery, I usually suggest changing the part in your hair or using different eye makeup to distract attention. In a few weeks, everyone will adapt to your new appearance and will be less likely to figure out the reason that you look so good!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+2

Earliest 10 days latest 3 weeks. Depends on many factors including personal issues. For pure safety reasons in public places wait at least 3 weeks. 

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Boss,

Fair question. Swelling after rhinoplasty, unfortunately, takes a long time! But, at the end of every week you will notice some changes. Be patient. Dr. Palmer suggested a great answer to tell your friends (if they ask). My only concern is that since you are still attending school, you might accidentally get your nose bumped in the hall way or in gym class. So, please be careful. Enjoy your new look!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty - nose job

+1

Recovery after rhinoplasty will typically take 7-14 days.  Most patients are able to go out in public after 8 days.   Most of your bruising and swelling should have resolved at this point.  Work out activity should be reserved for 2 weeks after surgery depending on the extent of surgery.  Good luck.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon