How Long After Rhinoplasty Can I Go Backpacking/rock Climbing/canoeing?

I will be having an open cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty in June, and would like to go on a 3-4 week backpacking trip that involves hiking on mountains, canoeing, and perhaps rock climbing about 30-40 days after the surgery. Is that risky, and if so, what are the risks?

Anything goes four weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

After rhinoplasty, or after a nasal fracture for that matter, the nose will be stable and healed well enough to allow any activity that you enjoyed before, even rock climbing. Keep in mind that after nasal surgery the nose can be more easily broken, so use sunscreen and use extra care to avoid an injury and damage to your investment.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Post rhinoplasty activity and exercise.

+2

Your only risk will be trauma and sunburn. It takes about the same amount of force to break the nose as it did before by 4 weeks. Sunburn will make the nose swell more. Use bullfrog or zinc oxide paste on your nose.

Resume outdoor activities 1 month after rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to resume hiking, canoeing, and rock climbing one month after the rhinoplasty procedure. You should not have any risks, as long as you are one month out and do not get hit in the nose.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Avoid Contact Sports After Rhinoplasty

+1

I think its reasonable to return to fairly normal activities a month after surgery. I would however avoid any activities that may result in trauma to the nose itself. Contact or competitive sports would be risky after Rhinoplasty. 

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limitations after Rhinoplasty

+1

I advise my patients to avoid strenuous physical activity for 3 weks after surgery and nasal trauma for at least 6 weeks. Enjoy your trip.

Exercise after rhinoplasty

+1

You should be able to go on your trip at that stage after surgery, but I suggest just speaking with your surgeon to make sure that he or she does not have any specific concerns about this.  You may notice some intermittent swelling of the nose during your activity, which is not unusual at an early stage after surgery.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Resuming "Normal" Activities after Nose Surgery

+1

A lot would depend on what "normal" activities are. By 4-6 weeks there is enough internal scar tissue in place to internally glue and splint the nose in place. However, it will not act like a Hockey mask / helmet and a well aimed powerful blow may well crack the nose along its weakest junctions (natural or the ones your surgeon has created).

So ---- as you are climbing rocks, getting mosquito bitten and teasing the bears just use common sense and do not get hit on the nose.

Recovery after Rhinoplasty

+1

In most cases, you should be able to return to your recreational activities within 2 to 4 weeks.  However, please be cautious about bumping or injuring your nose.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Rugged Outdoor Activities After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Sounds like the major risks that you will be facing are bears, rapids, falling off a mountain, and poison ivy.  Your nose should be stable one month after your rhinoplasty for your trip.  Have fun and be well.

Dr. P

That should be ok

+1

I release my patients to do normal physical activity 3 weeks after rhinoplasty, with any contact sports I recommend waiting at least 6 weeks.