How Long After Open Rhinoplasty Do I Have to Wait Before Smoking Marijuana? Honest Answer Please

I am one week post op from open rhinoplasty. My cast is removed, my stitches are removed. My bruising is gone and I have minor swelling. I'd like to know when the earliest time is that I can resume smoking marijuana. Please don't say "never, just quit" I'd like honest answers.

Rhinoplasty surgery and marijuana smoking

+2

Dear Jennifer,

• You should double check with your surgeon
  • I would say 2-3 weeks, but it also depends on what was done on the inside
  • After 3 weeks, the chances of scarring from the smoke are pretty minimal
  • That being said...there have been no formal studies examining the effects of marijuana smoke and healing after a rhinoplasty

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

+1

Not all open rhinoplasties are the same... some involve extensive reconstruction with grafts and delicate maneuvers that may be subject to impaired healing with smoking (even marijuana), and others not so much.  For this reason, you should ask your surgeon.

Steve Laverson, MD

Smoking and surgery

+1

Smoking in general is bad for wound healing. It is best to stop at least 3-4 weeks prior to surgery and stay away from smoking for 3-4 weeks after surgery. Ideally no smoking is the best.