How long after a mommy makeover before I can resume caring for my small children?

I am scheduled for a mommy makeover in December. I have twin boys who will be 18 months at that time. My mom and husband will be home to care for them for the first 3-4 weeks. Is this adequate time to recover before I resume complete care of them? The only lifting I will have to do is lifting them in and out of their cribs and into their high chairs.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

I recommend to my patients no lifting over 10lbs for 6-8 weeks.  There is significant muscle repair that takes place with a tummy tuck, and you want to avoid any complications that might compromise your healing and final results.

Mommy Makeover Recovery Time

+1

Thank you for your question. At 3-4 weeks you will be close. You will have to just take it day by day, and see how you tolerate recovery. Some are ready at 3 weeks, others need 4 or more, but very few need more than 4 weeks. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would not lift greater than 10 lbs for the first 6 weeks.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

Your plan sounds very reasonable. It takes weeks to months to completely recover from abdominal surgery. It is good that you have help with your children during this time. Do not push yourself, as everyone heals at a different pace. Follow your Plastic Surgeons post operative instructions for a fast recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

+1

First off, congratulations on your twins! It's great that you will have your husband and your mother here to help you for the first four weeks or so. I advise my patients not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (about 10 pounds) for the first few weeks. After that, I'd recommend that when you do lift your babies that you keep your elbows close to your torso and bend at the knees rather than the hips. After six weeks, you should be able to resume all normal physical activity.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Recovery after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Overall, I think you have a very reasonable plan. You should however be aware about many patients and their plastic surgeons underestimate the recovery time ( with both physical and emotional components) involved with mommy makeover surgery. Of course, every patient's experience will be different; you will likely be the best predictor of how you will do compared to others who undergo similar surgery.

A few words of advice, I provide my patients who are about to undergo mommy makeover surgery, may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

+1

That should be enough time to get them in an out of their cribs. Usually full activity like sports can be resumed in 6 weeks. Your end result will still take another 3 months however.

William Aiello, MD

Newport Beach CA

William Aiello, MD

Maybe a little longer

+1

I think closer to 6 weeks for lifting those little ones is safer, especially since there are two of them. Ask your family and friends if they can help out a few more weeks so you can avoid prolonged healing and complications!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

+1

Mommy Makeover is a broad term. Are you talking about tummy tuck and breast augmentation? This typically requires a 4 week recovery until regular activity like running after little ones. That should be adequate. I would definitely recommend you ask your surgeon what he/she thinks. Best of luck

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Recovery time for Mommy Makeover

+1

If your Mommy Makeover includes a tummy tuck then you will need a 2-3 week recovery time before adequately caring for small children. It will be 4-6 weeks before you can resume vigorous physical activity such as tennis, volleyball, weight lifting.

If your mother is with you for the first 3-4 weeks, you will be fine.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon