How Long After Liposuction Will I Be Able to Tell if I Have a Permenant Indentation?

I am 28 years old, in otherwise good health and 4.5 weeks post op. I have a large indentation about one inch above my belly button and am scared silly that it is permanent. I noticed the indentation immediately after the operation, but the doctor said it was from my garment. I bought a new garment and it is now 4 weeks later and it is still there. How long does it take to know if it will be permanent? What can I do to reduce its visibility? Is there a chance it will disappear?

Indentation after liposuction

+1

It will take a minimum of 4-6 months to assess the long term outcome of the depression.Depending on the advice of your surgeon, there are a variety of modalities that could be used including external ultrasonic therapy, manual lymphatic drainage, endermologie and/or scar mobilization under the guidance of a physical therapist,

Indention after liposuction may not be permanent

+1

If it's still there after 6 months, then I would talk to you about doing some fat grating to smooth it out (can be done in the office under local anesthesia).  Meanwhile, massage massage massage. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Contour Irregularity after Liposuction

+1

Contour irregularities are common after liposuction. Most early on can be related to uneven garment compression, swelling, or scar tissue. Most improve over time. I would give it at least 6 months before you come to any conclusions. Use a garment for even compression, and massage. I have also found that stretching and exercise helps when cleared by your physician. If it is the same or not improving after 6 months, a minor touch up procedure may help.

Hayley Brown, MD

Divot from liposuction

+1

This looks like a garment caused indentation to me.  I would massage this area as much as you can.  It may very well smooth out.  I would buy one of those el-cheapo hand held massage gizmos and get to work on this.  Wear a t-shirt and massage over the t-shirt.  Do it at work, at home, while you are stopped at a red light.  As much as you can.  Make sure you aren't wearing anything that compresses this area.  If it's still a problem after 4 or 5 months, you will need some fat transfer.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Liposuction indentation probably permanent.

+1

Hi.

This is just going by your picture, and I could be wrong. Massage often helps, but it's been over a month. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Results of liposuction will be permanent after 6 months.

+1

You can try using ultrasound to make the swelling go down, but it won't change the final result. If it is still there after 6 months, fat can be injected to fill out the depression.

Indent from liposuction garment or procedure

+1
You may have to wait up to six months to a year to see it fade from garment compression. Sometimes external massage devices can help such as Velashape or Endermologie provided your surgeon approves it at that time. If it does remain it may be improved with fat injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD