How Long Can It Take After a Laser Pulse Treatment to See Improvement at Site of Port Wine Stain?

My granddaughter received a laser pulse treatment on her port wine stain at 3 months of age. it is a very pale small stain near her eye with some spot on the eyelid which was not treated. She had the bruising for about a week and now the stain looks unchanged from before treatment. Is this a sign of resistance or is the repair is still in progress? If so at what point is it possible to know?

Pulsed dye laser for port wine stain

+1

Usually we treat about once every 6 weeks.  I would wait at least a month and then reassess.  You might see some lightening during that time period.  Most port wine stains require multiple laser treatment sessions for best results.  Pulsed dye laser is the gold standard.  Bruising is the treatment endpoint, so it sounds like an adequate energy was used.  Usually we increase the energy slightly with subsequent treatments.

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon