How Long After the Injection of Juvederm or Restylane Can It Be Removed?

I had juvaderm and restylene injected almst 1 year ago and do not like it. My doctor said it was to late at 6 months to have it removed because it had attached itself to the blood capillaries, etc. Is this true? I want it out and it is nt going anywhere

Not too late...

+2

Greetings~

There is really no time limit on when you can inject hyaluronidase to dissolve hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane.  As long as the substance is still present it can be dissolved.  If the Juvederm is very close to the skin surface it can also be extracted or squeezed out after making just a small puncture with a needle.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Hyaluronidase Can Help Break Down Juvederm and Restylane

+1
I recommend that it is worth having your doctor try to break down the product with hyaluronidase. If it is still present, then this will help to break it down.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

When can hyaluronic acid filler be removed?

+1

Thank you for your question. Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acid fillers. A favorable characteristic of such fillers is the ability to reverse the results using an injectable enzyme (hyaluronidase). Treatment with hyaluronidase may be undertaken at the discretion of your doctor at any time following treatment with the filler. Filler material that is present at 6 months should still be amenable to treatment and potential improvement with hyaluronidase. 

James M. Pearson, MD

Removing Juvederm

+1

You can always remove Juvederm if it is still there.  I would seek another opinion.  There is a medication that can be injected to remove it.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long after Injection of Juvederm or Restylane can it be removed

+1

Both Restylane and Juvederm are Hyaluronic Acid and they can be removed by injecting an enzyme: Hyaluronidase.

However, after one year, probably a lot of the filler has already disappeared. You may not want to have too much Hyaloronidase injected. I would have a little injected at a time, to have small amounts of fillers removed.

You may like the results after only a small amounty of the remaining filler has been removed.

Always make sure you are being treated by a Board certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon with experience in this area.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Can Juvederm Restylane be Removed

+1

Yes it can.  I have been successful removing these products years after they have been injected.  Many times the product comes out looking exactly the same as when it was injected.  Usually 2 options--Hyaluronidase injections or making a puncture over the site of the product and being able  to squeeze or "milk" the product out.  Find someone who has experience with this.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Vitrase, hyaluronidase will still work at 6 months to remove Juvederm and Restylane.

+1

Vitrase, hyaluronidase will still work at 6 months to remove Juvederm and Restylane.  If there is still some of these fillers present, the hyaluronidase will still work.  I have personally removed it successfully after one year.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Never too late to reverse these

+1

Firstly, you should be seeing this product disappearing some fairly soon if none is gone yet.  You certainly can dissolve what is still there. Find a good dermatologist  or plastic surgeon that has experience with these products. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Removal of restylane

+1

Both Restylane and Juvederm are short term fillers lasting from 6-9 months on average. You cannot physically remove but hyauronidase injections may speed it's natural resolution .

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Hyaluronidase after Restylane and/or Juvederm Injections

+1

Dear Lucas,

I agree with Dr. Steinsapir. It's not too late to do hyaluronidase injection(s). Depending upon what area of your face you had the Juvederm/Restylane injected into, it is possible that there is still some present at the injection sites. Your physician will likely inject a small amount of hyaluronidase into the area(s) and then have you come back for follow-up several days later, at which time more hyaluronidase can be injected if necessary.  

I also agree that you should call around to find a physician who has experience using hyaluronidase, as not everyone does (although, if they are injecting hyaluronic acid fillers, they really should).

Hope this helps!

MK

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon