How Long After Eyelid Surgery Should Stitches Be Removed?

My doctor is removing mine 13 days after surgery. It's been 9 days and my eyelids are getting really sore & tight feeling. Everything I read says they should be removed after 5-7 days. But her office said she always does around 10 days. But she's on vacation that's why I have to wait longer. Is that okay?

Most sutures are removed 5 to 7 days after eyelid surgery.

+1

I personaly use a type of suture that needs to be removed about 5 to 7 days after upper eyelid surgery. On the lower eyelids the incision I make is so small that most of the time it does not require any stitching. 

Removing Sutures after Eyelid Surgery

+1

About 1 week is normal for removing sutures after blepharoplasty. Waiting 2 weeks after a blepharoplasty follow-up with your doctor is a bit overdue, and you don't want to risk an infection.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture removal after blepharoplasty

+1
I agree that 13 days is too long. Personally, I do not perform surgeries which require suture removal of this kind while I am on vacation unless a covering physician is available and, even then, prefer to remove the sutures myself. If you are concerned, ask her office who is covering for her and if they can arrange an appointment for you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Suture removal

+1

Usually for standard eyelid surgery the sutures are removed within a week.  13 days sounds a bit long.

When should eyelid stitches be removed

+1

If you have traditional eyelid surgery, the stitches are generally removed in 5-7 days.  However if the surgery is performed with a CO-2 laser the skin initially heals a little bit slower and the stitches are removed in 10-14 days.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not ideal

+1

Waiting almost 13 days is not ideal, as the sutures will be a bit more difficult to remove. Most offices will have staff [nurse or medical assistant] that can remove stitches. If they refuse, ask them to refer you to a colleague that can remove the sutures.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon