How Long After Explant Can You Get a Mammogram?

I'm 1.5 weeks out of having an explant. I'm considering having a lift and possibly fat transfer in a few months. I'm thinking it would be good to get a mammogram before having these procedures done to a) ensure nothing is wrong now, and b) do it to get my normal baseline appearance. I'm 37 so I'm not quite at the recommended age. I know things are still healing and settling down inside, and that this actually takes a while -- so how long should I wait? Thanks!

+2

Wait until a couple of weeks before your next surgery. That way, any temporary changes related to surgery will have more time to resolve. All the best. 

Mammogram after explantation

+2

Unless you are in a rush I would wait a few months until the breasts are completely healed.  Allow the swelling to go away and the  breasts to soften.

How long after explant can you get a mammogram?

+1
Thank you for your question!  After explantation, or any breast procedure, it is usually recommended to wait between 3-6 months post-procedure to allow adequate resolution of swelling and settling of the breast.  Also, it will allow you to be more comfortable during the mammogram.  At 37 years of age, it is reasonable to get one after this procedure.  Otherwise, you should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.   Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Removal and Mammogram

+1

Thank you for your question. Usually several months for the inflammation to completely subside, but your surgeon knows how much was done, and they can determine your time frame. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Wait a Few Months Before the Mammogram

+1

Given your relatively recent surgery, wait about 6 months or so until all of swelling is gone and you are healed.  The mammogram can then be done and the other surgery scheduled.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mammogram after Implant Removal

+1

It would be my impression that a minimum of 6 weeks from your surgery would be best. I also agree with your thoughts of getting a baseline before your proceed with any other procedure.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon