How Long After a CO2 Lasar Do I Use Hydroquinone?

Hydroquinone can help maintain laser results

+1

The C02 is an amazing laser to reduce the coloration of the skin.  To maintain these results, I recommend using a Retinoid to stimulate new collagen production, even out the complexion of the face and speed up cell turn over.  Hydroquinone will help to keep the skin tones even and decrease the production and increase the breakdown of melanin pigment granules in the skin's pigment cells (melanocytes).  It does this by inhibiting the activity of tyrosinase, the enzyme needed to make melanin.  To increase the effectiveness of hydroquinone you should stay out of the sun and use a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 when outdoors to prevent further discoloration of the skin.

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Hydroquinone after CO2 Laser

+1

That question depends upon many, many variables.  You should be evaluated periodically and as needed during the healing phase after your laser procedure.  Hydorquinone applied too early in the healing process tends to cause irritation and delay your healing.  You may not need it if you are not at risk for pigmenation.

As a general rule, I would not routinely recommend using it unless you are at risk for hyperpigmentation.  Furthermore, if you were at risk and therefore a candidate for hydroquinone, I would wait until you were healed significantly enough as to not risk irritation, as determined by in office evaluation.  Of course, if you were starting to develop signs of post-inflammatory pigmentation, we would start hydroquninone therapy.

So, in summary, there is not a simple answer to this question.