How Long After Breastfeeding Can I Get my Implants Removed?

I have only had my implants for 3 years and have never been happy with them. I had a,baby 3 mths,ago and breastfeeding hasny been easy, I have had a low milk supply not sure if the cause is my implants. I want my implants removed could that help breastfeeding with another baby? How long do I have to wait to get the implants removed if im still breastfeeding? How is the procedure done and what can I expect? Thank you!!

Implants and Breast feeding

+1
I would wait until your are both finished with breast feeding and your breasts have returned to their baseline (usually several months). I doubt that removing them will increase your ability to breast feed.

Timing for Breast Implant Removal In Relation to Breast Feeding?

+1

Generally best to wait at least 3 to 6 months after you have stopped breast-feeding to have any type of breast surgery done ( including breast implant removal). You will know when the time is right when your breasts  have “dried up” and you are no longer lactating.

Whether or not you are able to breast-feed again should not be influenced by whether you have your breasts implants in place or have them removed.

Breast implants and breast feeding

+1

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, breast implants may interfere with your ability to successfully breast-feed. With respect to the ability to successfully breast-feed after breast implantation, one study reported up to 64% of women with implants who were unable to breast feed compared to 7% without implants. The periareolar incision site may significantly reduce the ability to successfully breast-feed. Also correction of an inverted nipple will interfere with the ability to breast feed.

As for removal of the implants, my advice for you is to wait 4-6 months after you stop breast feeding. Usually the implants are removed through the same incision. Expect the breasts to be much smaller, also it will be difficult to tell if breast feeding will improve in the future. Wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast Feeding and Implants

+1

The presence or removal of implants should not significantly impact breast feeding. You should wait approximately 5 - 6 months post breast feeding to consider implant removal.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implants and breastfeeding

+1

Removing your implants at this point should not improve your ability to breast feed. As for taking them out, I would wait several months after stopping to breast feed, so that the mild production will no longer be an issue and the breast engorgement has disappeared.