How Long After Breast Surgery Can I Start Using Stretch Marks Cream or Oil?

Hi.. I am 4 days post op and I am starting to notice pink stretch marks on the upper pole and near the arm pit / side. Since I am 4 days post op, can I still use stretch marks cream / bio oil on just the side and upper pole of the chest?? It's not going anywhere near my scar on the bottom. I really don't want the stretch marks to become white/silvery. Please help ASAP! Thanks!!

+1

You may apply whatever you like to your skin within a week or so of your surgery as long as you do not place anything on your incisions.

Of course if anything really worked for stretch marks or scars, every plastic surgeon on the planet would insist you use it.

We would also own shares in the company!

Good luck.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks after breast augmentation

+1

Hi Dina,

I always tell my patients that it's OK to use these items as long as they are kept well away from the incisions. Not really sure if they will help, but they should not hurt. The best thing to do for this is to have sufficient support. The snugger the sports bra the better. One reason stretch marks occur is from rapid skin stretching. Wearing appropriate support 24/7 will help. Best wishes, Dr. H 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding stretch marks

+1

While it is extremely unlikely that the creams/oils that you mention will prevent or lessen the development of stretch marks, it is probably fine to apply these starting a few days after surgery.  Do not apply them to your incisions, though.  I would also recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon to check with him/her regarding these creams.  Regards.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Creams, lotions and oils not likely to impact stretch marks following breast augmentation

+1

The creams and oils that you mentioned are not going to prevent you from developing stretch marks or even necessarily make them look better ... but if you feel better using them, that is another story. I would check with your surgeon to make sure that he/she is comfortable with you doing this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Stretch Marks after breast surgery

+1

creams and lotions can be used immediately after surgery away from the incisions.

your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you what to do.

as soon as the incisions are exposed  and not taped you can use a product such as kelocote, scarguard

biocorneum etc