How Long After Having a Breast Lift is It Safe to Leave the Country?

I plan on scheduling my Breast Lift & Augmentation around the beginning or middle of Oct. and I am moving to South Korea in February. Of course people heal differently and if something comes up I guess it will have to delay my plans to leave the country. However if my healing process is typical would living abroad so soon be ok? If this is an ok plan, would I still need to see a plastic surgeon in SK when I arrive? and if so, how soon after after I arrive will I need to see a doctor?

+2

I would wait at least 6 weeks after a breast lift before considering leaving the country and all of the stress of moving.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Travel after Breast Lift and Augmentation

+2

I advise my patient to wait at least 4 weeks before travel.  Be sure to get copies of all your medical records, including any photos taken and your implant registry card.  It would be wise to go ahead and research plastic surgeons in your country should any issues arise in the future.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Patients should wait at least two weeks after mastopexy before traveling out of the country.

+2

In uncomplicated mastopexy most patients have only a remote possibility of having postoperative problems two weeks after the operation. That would be the earliest time I would recommend travel out of the country.

Travel abroad

+2

Thanks for your inquiry.  You should be well healed when you move to Korea.  In general I do not want my patient's travelling away in the country for at least two weeks after surgery, prefer 4 weeks.  I do not like them leaving the country for a month. Good luck with your surgery. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Recovery from Breast Lift with Implants

+2

Hi Melbell

You should be fine if everything goes normally. Most complications (if they happen) will occur within the first 6-8 weeks.

With any foreign implant in the body, complications can arise even years after the surgery. Capsular contracture around a breast implant is the most likely of these complications, and most will occur within the first year after your operation. It is worth trying to get a recommendation for a Plastic Surgeon in South Korea that you can see should any of these late problems arise.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Travel after breast lift/augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question.  Nearly 4 months after your surgery, travel of this magnitude should be reasonable.  You should be well healed by this time.  Late complications can occur and it is a good idea to take a copy of your medical records with you in the event something unforeseen does happen.   

Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Leaving the country after surgery

+2
Four months is plenty of time assuming that your healing progresses normally. I think it is a wise idea to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in Korea and to provide him or her with full copies of your medical records for the purpose of treating you both during the initial year of healing and thereafter, should any problems arise down the road.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Your surgery is in October and your move to S. Korea is in February. That is certainly ample time. I like to see my patients for at least two weeks post operatively, and prefer one month in the unlikely event of a complication. If there is a complication that needs immediate attention, the time may need to be extended.

I suggest that you find a plastic surgeon at your new destination and take a copy of your records including pre and post op photos.

Good luck with your surgery and move.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

South Korea Bound!

+1

In my opinion, by the time you travel you will have forgotten you had surgery and will be able to move without worries. Did you know that South Koreans have more cosmetic procedures per person than any other country in the world. The point that I am getting to is that WHERE you go is also important not just for post-operative care but for your long term care. If you were travelling to a remote third worl country, a 6 week post operative time period would be recommended. Good luck!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

+1

Absent anything really unusual, I would think that you would be well  healed by four months, and that it would be perfectly safe to leave at that time. All the best.